PDA

View Full Version : Grant of Knighthood and Oath of Fealty - Sir Balthasar

Malachi Drake
07-31-2010, 01:02 AM
Gathered within the great halls of the Cathedral this day are people from all walks of life; villeins, gentry, clergy and freemen alike. For all have come to witness this most auspicious of events. The Knighting of Brother Balthasar. Malachi Drake, the Bishop of Wessex, calls him forth.

“Brother Balthasar come forth and Kneel!”

Balthasar kneels before the Bishop and presents the lord with his sword. The Bishop takes the sword in his hand.

“Do you swear upon all that is holy, under the radiant light of the Heavenly Father’s gaze to worship Soldeus and maintain His Church; to serve your liege lord in valour and faith; to protect the weak and the defenceless; to give succour to widows and orphans; to refrain from the wanton giving of offence; to live by honour and glory; to despise pecuniary reward; to fight for the welfare of all; to obey those placed in authority; to guard the honour of your fellow knights; to eschew unfairness, meanness and deceit; to keep faith; to at all times speak the truth; to persevere to the end in any enterprise begun; to respect the honour of women; to never refuse a challenge from an equal and to never turn your back upon a foe?”

“I swear that it will be so”

The Bishop strikes down hard on each of his shoulders with the flat of the blade.

“In the name of Soldeus, I grant you the power to bear arms and to mete justice. Take you these spurs as the noble badge of your office, and rise Sir Balthasar, Knight of the Church of Soldeus”

Balthasar rises to his feet.

“I, Balthasar, son of Daishan Drake, do swear an oath of fealty and service to His Excellency, The Right Reverend Father Malachi Drake, the Bishop of Wessex. I pledge my body, mind and life spark in the defence and service of the Heavenly Father and His Church. In times of peace and war I shall remain faithful and vigilant in my Service to the Right Reverend Bishop and shall value the well-being of the Diocese of Wessex above all other realms and pursuits. I will protect His Excellency, Malachi Drake, with my life as long as there is breath in my chest, spirit in my heart or strength within my arm.”

The Bishop nods.

“Let it be known to all, future and present, that I, the Bishop of Wessex, accept this oath with open arms.”

Casilda Tametomo
07-31-2010, 01:17 AM
The College of Arms finds this Oath to be in good order, and it is hereby recorded. May the Radiant Lord's Grace shine brightly upon the Holy Church, upon His Grace the Duke, and upon all of Wessex.

http://duchyofwessex.org/forum/../sigs/seal-wessex.png

Lady Laylah Sothenic
Mistress of Heralds
of the College of Arms
of the Duchy of Wessex