PDA

View Full Version : Greetings

Khyleth Daros
09-22-2009, 08:09 PM
Hi. I'm Khyleth. Where have you been all my life?

This is exactly the sort of group for which my geeky, chainmailed heart has been pining: people who care about making fantasy gaming come alive, with coherent social structures and true-to-life characters, dedicated to creating not just a guild but a society -- a collection of fellow medieval history nerds with a passion for the minutiae of creating a compelling portrait of a fantasy world with ALL the colors of life: not just crown-gold and blood-red, but mud-brown and inkstain-black.

What a monstrous sentence! I'll confess, toward the end I was just trying to see how far I could stretch it.

I suppose a greeting is usually followed by an introduction. Here goes:

Hi. I'm Khyleth. I like swords (wasn't allowed toy guns growing up), words, writing, and soccer, European adventures, chocolate chip cookie dough, and garlic bread. Especially garlic bread.

I also enjoy computer games. I've played RPGs for ages, but have only been into MMOs for the past five years (WoW, AoC, WAR). I'm big into forum roleplay. Like everyone else on the internet, I hope to be a writer. My dream is to do obituaries and marriage announcements in the local paper, but I'd settle for fantasy novels. Speaking of fantasy novels, here's a quote from my favorite author:

"The best fantasy is written in the language of dreams. It is alive as dreams are alive, more real than real ... for a moment at least ... that long magic moment before we wake.

Fantasy is silver and scarlet, indigo and azure, obsidian veined with gold and lapis lazuli. Reality is plywood and plastic, done up in mud brown and olive drab. Fantasy tastes of habaneros and honey, cinnamon and cloves, rare red meat and wines as sweet as summer. Reality is beans and tofu, and ashes at the end. Reality is the strip malls of Burbank, the smokestacks of Cleveland, a parking garage in Newark. Fantasy is the towers of Minas Tirith, the ancient stones of Gormenghast, the halls of Camelot. Fantasy flies on the wings of Icarus, reality on Southwest Airlines. Why do our dreams become so much smaller when they finally come true?

We read fantasy to find the colors again, I think. To taste strong spices and hear the songs the sirens sang. There is something old and true in fantasy that speaks to something deep within us, to the child who dreamt that one day he would hunt the forests of the night, and feast beneath the hollow hills, and find a love to last forever somewhere south of Oz and north of Shangri-La.

They can keep their heaven. When I die, I'd sooner go to middle Earth."

- George R.R. Martin

Cyndane Drake
09-22-2009, 08:23 PM
I love George Martin!

Oh, and welcome! I'm sure you'll fit right in! Have you perhaps played Darkfall?

Zehtuka Fireglore
09-22-2009, 08:44 PM
Welcome! Make sure you hop on vent and have a chat with the guys. (and Lepida)

Khyleth Daros
09-23-2009, 02:32 AM
Oh, and welcome! I'm sure you'll fit right in! Have you perhaps played Darkfall?

I've not, actually. I followed it 'til release, but was a bit busy, as well as becoming disenchanted with the guild I'd been with for two years. They lost touch with their roleplaying roots.

I would have joined later, but I heard really awful things about it.

My housing situation is in a state of flux at the moment, as I'm preparing to jump the pond for a year of grad school - that is, if my visa ever gets approved. *grumblegrumbleBureaucrats* So anyway, I won't be able to get on Vent this week, but I hope to do some talking next week.

Duncan Blackmoor
09-23-2009, 07:06 AM
hi there Khyleth, and welcome to the duchy.

Altus Whyte
09-23-2009, 10:29 AM
I've not, actually. I followed it 'til release, but was a bit busy, as well as becoming disenchanted with the guild I'd been with for two years. They lost touch with their roleplaying roots.

I would have joined later, but I heard really awful things about it.

My housing situation is in a state of flux at the moment, as I'm preparing to jump the pond for a year of grad school - that is, if my visa ever gets approved. *grumblegrumbleBureaucrats* So anyway, I won't be able to get on Vent this week, but I hope to do some talking next week.

Oh, so you're moving to Europe? That's nice; you'll get less latency to the server then.

Twyster Stronngust
09-23-2009, 11:07 AM
Nice introduction, always love welcoming a fellow RP lover.

Welcome to the Duchy of Wessex!

Rhygar apGwynn
09-23-2009, 11:26 AM
Oh, so you're moving to Europe? That's nice; you'll get less latency to the server then.

That is his real motive for moving I am sure. ;)

Jaidyn Sothenic
09-23-2009, 12:13 PM
Hello there, welcome to the community!

Kajun Cage
09-23-2009, 09:24 PM
Yes Welcome

Khyleth Daros
09-23-2009, 10:19 PM
That is his real motive for moving I am sure. ;)

That, and the ale. And fish 'n chips. Certainly not for the shepherd's pie. Or the lack of a sun.

On a related note, I was just informed that my UK visa has been approved. Huzzah! The application process was awful. Sallie Mae's customer service department consists of a series of prerecorded messages and one gibbering imp of a man who delights in answering my questions with completely unrelated references to sections of his website that are perfectly obvious to any literate person with a mouse. If my question could be answered by the FAQ, I'd not have HACKED YOUR EFFING PHONE SYSTEM to speak with you! *stomps around the room like Godzilla*

...Ehm, thank you all for the kind welcome. I promise not to break anything.

Casilda Tametomo
09-23-2009, 11:58 PM
How very nice to have yet another!

Khyleth Daros
09-28-2009, 10:18 PM
Am I waiting on someone to contact me about becoming a Trial Member, or is someone waiting on me?

Rhygar apGwynn
09-28-2009, 11:38 PM
Yes, someone will be in contact tomorrow.

Ulrich von Carstein
09-29-2009, 10:18 PM
Can't believe I didn't welcome you, for shame. Must have missed this thread in the turbulance of the week. Well, anyway, name says it all, really. Wilhelm von Idelau, avid roleplayer, fellow trialist, never played Darkfall and am purely in it for Mortal Online.

Lovely quote, by the way. Actually saved it onto my computer.

Jaidyn Sothenic
09-29-2009, 11:54 PM
Heya mate jump into our ventrilo server when youhave a moment, will get you registered :)

Manus Dei
09-30-2009, 05:30 PM
Always good to see someone who finds Wessex and thrills at it for all the right reasons, and reminds us all why it's unique. Welcome to it.

Khyleth Daros
10-18-2009, 11:37 PM
Many apologies for the runaround. I've been trying to figure out how to get my desktop across the Atlantic, but it just doesn't look possible with my current funds -- so I likely won't be able to play Mortal 'til this time next year. My current laptop is wonderfully portable, but is lucky to run anything bigger than iTunes.

You seem a fantastic organization, and I'd absolutely love to be part of it when I can play MMOs again. Until then, best of luck! Just knowing that you exist has revived my hope for the MMO genre, and nerddom in general.

I'll leave you with an appropriate tidbit I came across in my reading today:

"Alongside the warlike king (and he did not vanish), a peace-loving and humble king was being constructed: potentia remodeled by religio. The philosopher-ruler lived again in Francia, and in Wessex."
-J.L. Nelson

...and my favorite medieval quote:

"... and he [Louis XI] made a vow to God in my presence never to have intercourse with any other woman but the queen; and though this was no more than he was bound to do by the canons of the church, yet it was much that his self-command should be so great . . . considering that the queen (though an excellent princess in other respects) was not a person in whom a man could take any great delight."
-Philippe de Commynes

Twyster Stronngust
10-19-2009, 05:56 PM
Although it saddens me to see you go I must thank you for notifying us. Also, your enthusiasm, as everyone has said is a great reminder and a fresh breathe of air if I may say so myself.
Best of luck in all your endeavors and hopefully we can meet again, perhaps in the near future.

Rhygar apGwynn
10-19-2009, 10:12 PM
No need to sound so gloomy you all. We will still be here by the time he sorts out his future rig. That at least is the plan!