PDA

View Full Version : Well met

Valentina Penderghast
02-07-2009, 12:24 AM
The nice automated email asked that I shoudl come and make a post introducing myself. It was somewhat mum as to where, precisly, but this seems at least as apt a place as any, and better than most.

For myself, my name is Andrew David Fernandes. I am a 24 year old Canadian citizen, resident in Montreal. I am a student of Political Science at the Unviersity of Concordia, and far more significiatnly, a political organizer for the New Democratic Party of Canada. When not engaged in political activites, or working at this and that (in between elections, poltiical work doesn't always quite pay all the bills), I enjoy chess; poker (real poker, none of this bloody Texas Hold'em crap); golf; modern fantasy and classical victorian literature (an odd combination I know), music (mostly classical, or clasic rock - once again, I know, I'm a man of diverse tastes); barbecue cooking; violin playing; scotch whisky; and lsat, but not least, especially, and of course: PC gaming.

My previous gaming experience includes brief stints in Ultima Online, Matrix Online, and recently Warhammer Online; a somewhat longer tenure in World of Warcraft (I love the game, but I despise the graphics); and most substantially by far, a... must be four years and more now tenure in City of Heroes/Villains, which I still play and have no immediate plans to discontinue (at least until Champions Online comes out)... though we'll always see how addicted I become to Darkfall.

Speaking of Darkfall I have been following its development process for some time, but only with the recent announcement of its imminent European release have I begun to seriously look into its features, and joined its community (those who care to - I know, keep dreaming - can follow my dubious rhetorical exploits on the public forums under the username Mr.Fernandes).

I was attracted to the guild of Wessex becuase it is a roleplaying guild, but one that clearly has no compunction against fighitng back in what is shaping up to be a serious PvP game, and becuase it is dedicated to what I feel is the most significant feature of DF - the ability to leave your mark on the world, and let stories be determind by player interactions, player ambitions, and yes, when they occur, player conflicts.

My intended character, as you can see from my username here, is Valentina Penderghast (I will say it once and for the record: yes, she is a woman; no, I am not). I make it a practice never to reveal too much information about my cahracter that random people would not, IC, have access to, but she is a mage, and mystic scholar (I am a longtime palyer of caster classes - crowd control is a particular specialty of mine more than DPS, although it is undeniably true that nothing mitigates the threat your enemies, be they player or computer controlled, pose quite so permanently as killing them). She is not of any known noble blood, but she was formerly a student at the Royal College in Sanguine (no, I don't know that there is such a thing, but the lore doesn't say there isn't, and it IS the alrgest human city on the planet - it out to ahve colleges) despite having no clear source of income with which to pay for such studies, or support herself, so presumably she must have means of some kind. Or at least she once did - she has recently left the academic life, to travel to the palatine duchy of Wessex (obviously) in the hope that her skills will find service with his grace the Duke, or the other gentry of the land. I would give a detailed physical description, but I hope to get me one of those lovely art-bedecced banners everyone seems to have before too terribly long (I understand my probationary period has to end first) so hopefully that should be somewhat moot.

Anyway, thats enough (and more) about me. Lovely to meet you all!

Valentina Penderghast
02-07-2009, 12:31 AM
Also, a question: how the devil do I create a signature. I feel like a fool, but I can't find the option.

Kalizus Zhuge
02-07-2009, 01:07 AM
Also, a question: how the devil do I create a signature. I feel like a fool, but I can't find the option.

signatures can only be given to full membership. Once you have attained your full membership, you should check http://www.duchyofwessex.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1395 and request a sig. One of the Heralds or Pursuivant will do their best to make you a sig. Using your own sig will have to be approved by a herald, but as i said before, sigs can only be worn when you have attained full membership.

goodluck and welcome.

Valentina Penderghast
02-07-2009, 01:26 AM
I didn't mean the lovely graphics (though I would love one of those eventually), I meant an actual ordinary signature.

Leif Sigrid
02-07-2009, 03:46 AM
Hey! I'm from Montreal too, you should join Kaizen! We are a fiefdom of Wessex. Knight Sempiternam Brionne is our leader!

Valentina Penderghast
02-07-2009, 03:48 AM
Keen. Is this fiefdom all Montreal area players I take itÉ

Spaw Kindred
02-07-2009, 03:52 AM
We are a fiefdom of Wessex. Knight Sempiternam Brionne is our leader!

o_o

With that aside...Welcome to Wessex Valentina.

Valentina Penderghast
02-07-2009, 03:55 AM
Thank you, Im very glad to be here.

Valentina Penderghast
02-07-2009, 04:27 AM
*Le chuckle* My mistake. I assumed it must be some sort of geogrpahic thing since Mister Sigfrid there made quite a point of my home town.

Would someone care to tell me more about what the fiefdom IS all about, so to speakÉ

Rhygar apGwynn
02-07-2009, 11:21 AM
Hey! I'm from Montreal too, you should join Kaizen! We are a fiefdom of Wessex. Knight Sempiternam Brionne is our leader!

:confused: I don't think Sir Vasidius would be impressed with Sempi taking over his fief like that.

Anyway, he can't move to Kaizen. Only once he has full membership can he apply for a transfer, which is then reviewed by the Duke of Wessex on a case by case basis.

Regardless, welcome to Wessex! That is the most comprehensive introduction post I can recall seeing on these forums. Well done!

EDIT: You aren't in Kaizen either, Leif. Or has there been some change in the transfer rules?

Leif Sigrid
02-07-2009, 03:08 PM
yes I'm not part of Kaizen YET :P

Well hopefully a place will be made for me over at Kaizen. As for what A fiefdom is, it's a state in which we pay due to our Royal Majesty King Manus. We are separate from Wessex but serve their will.

Trude Gudrun Alfhildton
02-07-2009, 03:21 PM
thats a massive introducing thread hehe
only the size is a bit small for I can only see with one eye atm:(

but very nice, hello and welcome :)

Valentina Penderghast
02-07-2009, 06:11 PM
:confused: I don't think Sir Vasidius would be impressed with Sempi taking over his fief like that.

Anyway, he can't move to Kaizen. Only once he has full membership can he apply for a transfer, which is then reviewed by the Duke of Wessex on a case by case basis.

Regardless, welcome to Wessex! That is the most comprehensive introduction post I can recall seeing on these forums. Well done!

EDIT: You aren't in Kaizen either, Leif. Or has there been some change in the transfer rules?

I recall reading in the assorted lore gathered on the front page that a Knight can induct new members into the duchy as his vassals without passing through the ussual system. Is it possible that this Sir Vasidius recruited Leif himself in this manner? Or has that provision been changed?

Anyhoo, thank you all! Yes, I am certainly a man of many, many words, but I try to make them good ones. I hope I didn't bore you all too badly.

Leif: I know what a Fiefdom is within the structure of the guild (and its coalition), but I am curious to know why you feel I should join this one in particular. Obviously, since you are a member (or wish to be, as the case may be) yourself, you must see some particular merit in it.

Leif Sigrid
02-08-2009, 02:09 PM
I recall reading in the assorted lore gathered on the front page that a Knight can induct new members into the duchy as his vassals without passing through the ussual system. Is it possible that this Sir Vasidius recruited Leif himself in this manner? Or has that provision been changed?

Anyhoo, thank you all! Yes, I am certainly a man of many, many words, but I try to make them good ones. I hope I didn't bore you all too badly.

Leif: I know what a Fiefdom is within the structure of the guild (and its coalition), but I am curious to know why you feel I should join this one in particular. Obviously, since you are a member (or wish to be, as the case may be) yourself, you must see some particular merit in it.No I'm not a esquire I think it would be called(I wish). I'm just an idealist punk who wishes to join Kaizen :P

As for why you should join Kaizen, because I'm part of Kaizen. That should be enough reasoning :I lmao. But seriously, I think it would be better to progress through the guild in Kaizen or another vassal State. I could be wrong, but I think it would also be a delight to have you in Kaizen Considering how good you are with words. Why not ask a elite player of you Caliber to join Kaizen :O !!!