PDA

View Full Version : Greetings, Seridor's introduction

Zerthul Dryadson
12-10-2008, 03:48 PM
Hi everyone!

I thought I'd step in line and write a small introduction about myself, my character and his plans. I have to say i'm still a bit overwhelmed by this guild, its structure etc. so i will need some time to familiarize myself :).

First about me: I live in Hungary (GMT+1), I'm a biologist, doing some genetic research ( making transgenic mice with green or red glowing brain). I like everything what is fantasy or sci-fi: books, movies and computer games ofc.. I'm not a heavy RP-er but really enjoy RP enviroment and i have always tried to get more involved in roleplaying (i have played pen and paper AD&D with some friends where i was both player and DM-it was more for fun and challenge than serious rp but we liked it http://www.sonsofcamulus.co.uk/forum/images/smilies/icon_smile.gif)

In Agon probably I will be a Mirdain and I want to play a mage. In my previous MMOs (DDO, WoW, AoC) I never had a pure mage character i always went for melee because i didnt like the spellcasters' gameplay. In Darkfall it seems more interesting since you have to aim your spells and there are no fixed classes with fixed spelllists.

Before i have applied to this guild i was looking for either a Mirdain only clan or even better a mage/scholar guild but I couldnt find any, at least not any EU based. I saw there are many different organizations inside this guild so I'm sure I will find a nice place for myself.

Salvin Malgret
12-10-2008, 03:54 PM
Hi Seridor, nice to meet you! Welcome to the Duchy. :)

Gustaph Calgacus
12-10-2008, 03:54 PM
Welcome to the forums mate. :)

Good introduction post.

Rhygar apGwynn
12-10-2008, 04:08 PM
Welcome. :)

Lysander
12-10-2008, 04:14 PM
Welcome friend

Robert Namo
12-10-2008, 04:45 PM
Welcome.

Amras Blackwing
12-10-2008, 04:46 PM
Interesting about the genetic research thing and we will surely discuss the use of mice for these experiments on IRC since I'm a bit of a animal rights activist. :o

Welcome to the Duchy of Wessex and hope to see more of you.

Zerthul Dryadson
12-10-2008, 06:11 PM
Thanks for the welcoming everyone! Hope to see you soon in-game :)

I'm still trying to learn more about the guild and there are a few (well not so few, but I'm patient :) ) things I wonder about.
For example is there any extra organization for mages or they are just part of the military (? under footmen?). I also wonder is there an organization for scholars, those who pursue knowledge and teach those who are interested in their ways.

Interesting about the genetic research thing and we will surely discuss the use of mice for these experiments on IRC since I'm a bit of a animal rights activist. :o

Well, I'm up for it however I'm a bit sceptic that we could get an agreement in this matter :)
Btw here is what my research is about in a nutshell: We are studying the nervous system and for this we are using/making different transgenic mouse models. There are many different neuron population in the brain with different role, our goal is to mark or alter a specific population of these cells. To do this we usually look for a gene which is only representative to that population, try to identify that gene's regulation region, then isolate that region (called the gene's promoter) from the mouse genome and using it to drive transgenic constructs. In short: we can express different proteins in specific cells (these proteins either were not present in those cells before or we overexpress them to see how is that alter the cell's function.) When i said glowing brain I've meant that we can mark those specific cells to express different flourescent proteins, like the green or red fluorescent protein. This protein is harmless however the after study is not so...
Here are some "googled" image just for illustration:
http://www.leica-microsystems.com/WebSite/pictures.nsf/(ALLIDs)/9EE30657F52DD7E080256C44003B0464/$FILE/mice_app_s_md.jpg
http://www.zeiss.de/C12567BE00472A5C/GraphikTitelIntern/BrainslicePopup/$File/GFPCFPbrain.jpg

Alandarus Barbatus
12-10-2008, 06:13 PM
Welcome to the Duchy of Wessex. Glad to see another mage to add to our ranks. Will you be joining the church?

Zerthul Dryadson
12-10-2008, 06:27 PM
Will you be joining the church?

I will see that, but It's quite unlikely because besides magical arts I'm also interested in "wordly wealth", economy and such. :D

Paul Varden
12-10-2008, 07:07 PM
Welcome and cant wait to be playing with another mage :) feel free to join the Varden Family if you want.

But let me know if you want to...

~ Paul Varden.

Chrono Veincrusher
12-10-2008, 07:14 PM
Nice introduction!

I'm still trying to learn more about the guild and there are a few (well not so few, but I'm patient :) ) things I wonder about.
For example is there any extra organization for mages or they are just part of the military (? under footmen?). I also wonder is there an organization for scholars, those who pursue knowledge and teach those who are interested in their ways.

To answer your question, in the garrison we have the following:

Specialty Forces:
Chaplain: Those who have joined external holy orders of Auros but who have NOT yet achieved the rank of knight of their orders may find themselves serving a role on the field somewhat like a combat medic. These will be the acolytes, aspirants, etc. of those orders. They will collectively be known militarily as "chaplains". Regular footmen who have trained healing skill will not be known as chaplains unless they are not villeins but members of the clergy.

Thaumaturgist: All soldiers begin as footmen or archers, but those who focus on their skill at wonder working at the expense of their more mundane skills may find themselves called to give up their villein status and apply for membership in the elusive Ordo Solis et Lunae. The Ordo is a mystical (read: holy) order, and therefore its members will be considered clergy for the sake of the social class they occupy. The Ordo, in the future, will provide a military contingent of "thaumaturgists" for the battlefield who are highly and specifically trained for the more spectacular and effective aspects of magic in Darkfall. I use the word thaumaturgist because its connotation is only on the dynamic aspect of magic and not on the spiritual, which seems appropriate for a soldier. The Ordo will assign its own rank structure to the members of its Order and the thaumaturgists it provides to defend the Duchy.

Warien Illrendar
12-11-2008, 01:04 AM
Welcome!

Zerthul Dryadson
12-13-2008, 02:19 PM
To answer your question, in the garrison we have the following:...

Thanks! To be a Thaumaturgist seems like a good option for me :)

Evillor LeGaude
12-18-2008, 10:37 PM
Mages seem few and far between so far, glad to have you on board.