PDA

View Full Version : hellos

Griffith Whitehawk
11-17-2008, 01:14 AM
Just posting to introduce myself as i applied to the clan yesterday.

Im a veteran MMO player, been playing EQ since 2000 (with some shadowbane mixed in) and always been a leader/officer for my clans. Anytime ive had to change clans id SWEAR im not gonna get caught up in responsibility or leadership role but... never lasts long lol. Before pvp in EQ went down the toilet i was a monster, even when competing against people in far superior gear or outnumbered. I had similar success in Halo2, winning somewhere between 75-80% (cant remember the exact #) of team slayer games. Been dying for a new MMO venue to pvp in and shadowbane was kind of... lacking imo. I hope to get back to that kind of competitve level in Darkfall and make the Duchy proud.

I chose Wessex because of the sophisticated structure and intelligent design behind it. I love order, rules, and everyone knowing their part so this looks like the perfect situation for me. I look forward to playing my part in all of this.

As for real life, what can i say... its pretty good. I saved up all my cash while i was running a bar back home in IL so that i could move out to hawaii last year. Been living off that cash and spending time w/ my girlfriend out here since then. Cash is gettin low now so im looking for a job again (*sigh*~) but hey, its paradise.

Barden Jusik
11-17-2008, 02:14 AM
Hey there, welcome to Wessex!

Troas Archetto
11-17-2008, 02:44 AM
Interesting story on your life. Hey man I hope it works out for you, but I'm just a teenager what the hell would I know?:p

But anyway, welcome.

Komako the Hawk
11-17-2008, 03:36 AM
Hello Griffith,

If a squad was in dire trouble, and the commanding officer was inefficient at his or her job, do you see yourself being insubordinate and taking the initiative to lead things yourself? You claim to get caught up in the responsibility of a leadership roll, and having leaders is good, but can you follow orders under any circumstances as well?

You should consider whether or not you should settle for a follower role if you're used to leadership; sometimes, a square peg will never fit into a round hole.

Griffith Whitehawk
11-17-2008, 06:57 AM
Komako,

Being in those leadership roles has taught me about the value of team players honestly. I know how frustrating it is to try and lead with someone always naysaying or giving out their own ideas, and how distracting that is to your force. Im the kind that would rather lose the "right way" than win in a way that fragmented the team. Strategic problems are easier to correct than bad habits/attitudes.

Good leaders often make the best followers, because they have experience and perspective from being on the other side (which leads to respect for those doing it now)... and well, you can always lead by example no matter what your rank. I know what the ideal clanmate was for me, and thats what i try to be for others. Right and wrong are often shades of grey, but discipline is very black and white.

Hope that calmed any concerns hehe. Leader and team player have always been synonymous imo, and in the clans/guilds ive taken part in. Based on the Duchy's structure i would assume it will be the same here too =)

Komako the Hawk
11-17-2008, 07:02 AM
Griffith,

I'm pleased to hear your answer, specifically:

Right and wrong are often shades of grey, but discipline is very black and white. Although you sound hesitant to strive for leadership, I encourage you to aim for Sergeant in Wessex; it's a military position that doesn't possess total leadership of a fief, but can fluidly serve in a leadership role or a follower role in a military unit, depending on the situation.

Also, may I introduce myself: I am Komako, one of Wessex's current three Cabinet Members, and I welcome you to the Duchy :)

Alandarus Barbatus
11-17-2008, 07:03 AM
Welcome to Wessex. It sounds like you have a good head on your shoulders. Glad to have you.

Tarscanian Sothenic
11-17-2008, 07:30 AM
Well met traveler

Griffith Whitehawk
11-17-2008, 07:50 AM
I thank you for your replies.

I expect that one day i will push forward for a higher ranking position, i just intend to take my time and plan such goals carefully. Being the new guy in the clan puts me in the situation of trying to play "catch up" in becoming intimately familiar with the rules and everyone else's role, so im just taking it slow for now. With it being so close to the release of the game, AND being new in Wessex, im not even sure what type of character build i want to go with. Ive been hoping to build a toon that will fill a needed role within the clan that i can also enjoy (i generally dislike crafting and mage builds, but very open from there). I tend to go for the class/build that nobody wants to do, or people think will be weak in 1v1 combat.

I think as i have more time to get accoustomed to everyone else it will help me shape who i want to be (in terms of my toon's strengths), and what role i want to fill (in terms of rank within Wessex).

Erwin Carius
11-17-2008, 09:48 AM
Hello and welcome!

Markus Tyrell
11-17-2008, 04:12 PM
Welcome to the duchy, I suggest you get your hands on Age of Chivalry, its a HL2 mod that alot of us are into now and we're even participating in a league.

ZtyX Roman
11-18-2008, 05:11 AM
Awwhh.. Erwin. I bet that was you who deleted my post in 1337. :P

Respect the Cyberpunk culture, Erwin. :D

Ok. I won't post in 1337 again. ;)

Robert Namo
11-19-2008, 05:11 PM
Welcome.

Jord Hunter
11-19-2008, 05:25 PM
Welcome, Griffith. It seems you will make a fine addition to our ranks, whether you aim to rise through the ranks or not.

Good to have you with us.