PDA

View Full Version : RETIRED - Oath of Office - Rudolf Guiscard, Envoy

Guiscard
06-22-2006, 04:16 PM
1st, when so ever the king shall command I, as an envoy, to represent the duchy and to send messages to any other king, prince, state, or any other person out of this his realm, or to any person of whatever state, condition, or degree he be of within the same, that I shall do it as honorably and truly as I will and reason can serve I, and greatly to the advantage of our sovereign lord and his realm, and truly report bringing again to his highness of I message and as near to the charge to I committed in words and in substance, as I said reason may attain to, always keeping the self secret for any manner motion, save to such persons as I be commanded to utter.

2ndly, I shall do my true duty, as an envoy, to be every day more cunning than others in the office of our neighbors, so as I may be better furnished to teach others under I, and execute with more wisdom and more eloquence such charges as I sovereign lord and his realm or of his realm any nobleman shall lay unto I by the it of the office, which his highness will erect I to at this time, discovering in no wise that I have in charge to keep closer than that be prejudicial to the king our sovereign lord and his realm.

3rdly, I shall do my duties diligently, as an envoy, by having knowledge of all the nobles and gentlemen within I march, which should bear coats in the field in the service of our sovereign lord, his lieutenants, officers, and commanders, and them with the I issue truly register, whereby I shall give to the king service for the defense of his land.

4thly, I shall observe, as an envoy, and keep to my cunning and power all such oaths as I made when I was created a villien, to the honor and worship of noblesse and integrity of living, namely, in eschewing disreputable places and people, and always more ready to excuse than to blame any noble person, unless than I be charged to say the truth by the king, his constable, and marshal, or in any place judicial. Also I shall permit truly to register all acts of honor in manner and form as they are done, as forsooth as power and cunning may extend.
?May I succeed in lending a hand to those who in our dear native land are called upon to speak with authority on these matters, that we may be their guide into the field of diplomatic inquiry, and excite them to make a candid examination of the subject.?

Signed,
Herr Rudolf-Volker Guiscard