PDA

View Full Version : New Guild Site

Artorius
06-16-2006, 07:35 AM
The more I look at your site, the more I am impressed. Seriously.

I just thought I'd drop by your forums to let you know we have redone our site and invite you to come check it out.

Best of luck!

Artorius
Noble of the House of Cormyr

Protonix
06-16-2006, 07:47 AM
We thank you for the invite and will take you up on the offer.

Fenris
06-16-2006, 03:00 PM
Aye, as will I! Come visit us in stratics IRC at channel #wsx sometime, you'd be more than welcome.

Surly von Fishbarrel
06-17-2006, 08:17 PM
Cormyr, if you're going to stop using the php portal (what is it? php nuke?) why don't you just install PHPBB directly instead of redirected people to the module of your bulky and unnecessary portal system?

I'm always very blunt about these things because I believe criticism is more useful than ass-kissing: I hate your new site. If you don't have any skill creating a website, it might be a good idea to just use the portal. That's what they're for. I like your members page, but it appears that it will be a lot of work to keep updated since you are manually creating each member. Automatic systems are much better because they don't require you to keep updating it. Sure, it LOOKS a little better than the portal when you Do-It-Yourself, but unless you have the time to do that kind of a site it might be difficult to keep it together after Darkfall is out (and you need your spare time to be spent IN GAME, not on the site).

Of course, I'm speaking entirely from a web-admin perspective... I'm not even considering aesthetics.

Your site design, at least the navigational aspect of it, isn't done by very many guilds. The only one I know of that has pulled off that sort of system without any automation is the Red Order. You may want to study their site if you wish to go down that avenue. The less updating you have to do yourself, the better.

Komako the Hawk
06-17-2006, 08:40 PM
Owned?

Surly von Fishbarrel
06-17-2006, 08:49 PM
Haha, it's a web-admin perspective damnit! Functionality is all I'm bitching about. It isn't meant to be an insult, I'm just trying to warn you of the headache you're going to be making for yourself. You should always use your skills to their maximum extent, but it is never a good idea to over-shoot it and wind up doing ten times as much work for little to no gain.

It's just a matter of time management.

Fenris
06-17-2006, 09:50 PM
tldr, <3 fish

Bernardo dei Medici
06-19-2006, 05:22 PM
If you guys want help designing a new website, just let me know. I'm sorta in that mode right now :p

I can build you an automated membership list or different modules if that is what you're looking for and customize it to your specs. I feel your pain and I'm onboard with fish about the pain its going to cause you.

Your website should serve you! Not the other way around :D

Artorius
06-22-2006, 11:41 PM
If you guys want help designing a new website, just let me know. I'm sorta in that mode right now :p

I can build you an automated membership list or different modules if that is what you're looking for and customize it to your specs. I feel your pain and I'm onboard with fish about the pain its going to cause you.

Your website should serve you! Not the other way around :D

help would definately be nice. My Guild has not been fortunate enough to have the services of a web designer at our disposal. Therefore, I have had to do it myself. Since I'm not a designer, it's been a learn-as-I-go process. Right now, I would like to install phpbb2 to my site. I have it uploaded to my web host, but I lack the skill to actually install it (sad, haha). I also need a program that will help me with an automated memberlist. I have some ideas for what I would like to do.

If your still willing to help I will be most grateful. You can contact me at nwslaten@bama.ua.edu, my AIM is ofwolfandsheep.

Thanks