PDA

View Full Version : Nihongo Wessexians (again)

Aiden Xi
10-05-2008, 07:34 AM
I believe I may have had a bad start here, so I'm starting clean if the people of the Duchy of Wessex permit me to. Hello, I am Aiden Xi. I had no clue about Darkfall until about a month ago when a good friend of mine told me about it. Just leaving Lineage II (GM drama) I needed a new way to pass the time. Initially it was just another game to enjoy with an old friend, but I soon came to make friends with the people of Wessex and its handful of sub-clans. My aspirations here are to become a clerk or a herald. I have been a web developer and a designer for the past 7 years, working with Photoshop/Illustrator is a great hobby of mine, if Wessex has room for me I would like to continue my hobby and share my ideas with everyone. As for a Darkfall member, I have been looking into the Bowman class. Since childhood I have looked up to Robin Hood and to this day I still dream of wearing tights and saving beautiful damsels in distress in Sherwood forest =D Many games have had a bowman class but none have come close to the realism that Darkfall brings.

Thank you for reading, and my most sincerest apologies to anyone I may have offended in the past.

Alandarus Barbatus
10-05-2008, 07:44 AM
I don't know what you did in the past but, welcome.

Dreign Swift
10-05-2008, 07:55 AM
Ah, this is refreshing :).

Good to see a renewed dedication. You are aware that as a Herald or Clerk you'll have trouble advancing far in the military? Nothing wrong with being a dedicated enlisted guy though.

That brings a question to mind: Will non-military freemen who enlist in the military get a futher tax cut? They're maintaining a role in two demanding jobs, after all. Perhaps only Yeomen, not Burgesses?

Manus Dei
10-05-2008, 07:57 AM
Not true. There's nothing limiting a clerk's advancement in the military.

Glad you reevaluated and made a fresh start.

Burgess taxes are not paid to a liege lord, so enlistment is completely voluntary with no compensation except loot.

Aiden Xi
10-05-2008, 07:58 AM
Thanks =) With my current work situation I have time during the day to work on Yeoman duties and when I get home, to work on the military aspect of things. Initially I would like to start off as a Yeoman to get my feel for things while drilling with the usual crowd when time permits.

An honor indeed to have your presence here Majesty!

Dreign Swift
10-05-2008, 08:09 AM
Not true. There's nothing limiting a clerk's advancement in the military.

Or maybe it was a burgess or business owner you had said would have a hard time? I remember reading something about that, not sure now.

Manus Dei
10-05-2008, 08:13 AM
Nope. Anyone who is valorous, disciplined, and loyal can advance in the military.

Heralds shouldn't take noble positions, and have to be available for messenger duties on the battlefield, but that is all.

Dreign Swift
10-05-2008, 08:13 AM
Grim, what his Grace is saying is that your duties as a Yeoman will supercede your duties as a soldier. You won't be prevented from promotions, etc, but it will reasonably take you longer to advance that career than someone who chooses to focus their efforts as a soldier.

Here's what I was going off of >_<.

Would this still be a true statement?

Manus Dei
10-05-2008, 08:14 AM
Do you have the preface to that, what Lady Nira was clarifying?

Dreign Swift
10-05-2008, 08:18 AM
I believe Grim's question (after discussing the role of an Envoy) was whether or not he'd be able to have a career as a soldier as well as a yeoman.

Manus Dei
10-05-2008, 08:19 AM
Was Grim a clerk then or a herald? What was my answer?

The only thing I can imagine is if I told him that he might be a bit busy as a clerk and kept from drills and the like - but he certainly wouldn't be kept from battle...

Dreign Swift
10-05-2008, 08:29 AM
The full transcript, Your Grace:

I'd like to enlist as a Archer. I'd also like to ask if I would be able to still run a buisness as a archer?

Of course you may, you are not limited to only one role in this guild.

Roger. I wish to enlist as a Archer.

But you're an envoy.

But can't I still train with the soldiers? I'd like to be prepared if I get called into battle.

So you can, so you can. However, being an envoy might have you negotiating the peace treaty rather than fighting on the field.

Can I negotiate when im standing on their corpses o.O?
'Nuff spam.
Edit: Also, does this mean I have no chance of a military career?

Grim, what his Grace is saying is that your duties as a Yeoman will supercede your duties as a soldier. You won't be prevented from promotions, etc, but it will reasonably take you longer to advance that career than someone who chooses to focus their efforts as a soldier.

Manus Dei
10-05-2008, 08:33 AM
See, envoy.

We phased out envoys. No more need to negotiate the peace treaty.

No more peace treaties.

lol just kidding.

Markus Tyrell
10-05-2008, 04:51 PM
OMgz the Duke and Dreign have hijacked this thread and planted a bomb underneath it, NO ONE CAN GET OFF OR IT WILL BLOW!!??!!!!

On a more serious note I re-welcome you Aiden Xi, and hope you manage to reach full member status without further hitches (i think thats a word).

Tewdric Veincrusher
10-05-2008, 05:02 PM
Heralds shouldn't take noble positions, and have to be available for messenger duties on the battlefield, but that is all.

But Heralds can becomea Baronet right? Which is practically the same as a Knight right?

Aiden Xi
10-05-2008, 06:42 PM
Thank you Markus =)

Hyu Garona
10-05-2008, 09:22 PM
This kind of resembles my own thread in the Reception Chambers, the discussion just kept on flowing and the topics changing, and in the end it turned out as quite a long thread.

What about Keltic though, is he acting as a clerk only temporarily? Or does he have a rank in both Wessex and Sleggjaholl?

Einar Tyrssen
10-05-2008, 10:14 PM
This kind of resembles my own thread in the Reception Chambers, the discussion just kept on flowing and the topics changing, and in the end it turned out as quite a long thread.

What about Keltic though, is he acting as a clerk only temporarily? Or does he have a rank in both Wessex and Sleggjaholl?

Huskarls had administrative duties back in the day, so, I'm not having clerks or exchequers as those duties will also be fulfilled by my skalds and huskarls. Basically, they fight during wartime at my side, but during peace I make them paper pushers.

Less complicated.

Manus Dei
10-05-2008, 10:34 PM
Surly does the same thing with his churls..= carls

Baned
10-05-2008, 10:35 PM
At one point I was a prefect in RSS and a friar/clerk in Wessex at the same time.

That was funny.

Myrddin Ambrosius
10-06-2008, 02:40 PM
welcome aiden...u do know that nihongo = japanese (language) so ur title means wessexians of japanese language speakers or something of sorts lol

Aiden Xi
10-06-2008, 04:58 PM
Nihonga is actually hello/good morning since there's no proper way of saying hello in Japanese. And thanks ^^

Myrddin Ambrosius
10-06-2008, 05:02 PM
u wrote nihonGO not GA lol and there IS a proper greeting for good morning "Ohayoo" or "Ohayoo Gozaimasu"

Markus Tyrell
10-06-2008, 06:05 PM
or ive watched too many of those damn japanese comics

(no offence I watch them myself, I just have somehow failed to pick up any japanese while doing so..)

Lhang Swordsinger
10-06-2008, 10:41 PM
or ive watched too many of those damn japanese comics

(no offence I watch them myself, I just have somehow failed to pick up any japanese while doing so..)
the extent of my knowledge of japanese is KAMEHAMEHA!!!!

but serioursly, WB.