PDA

View Full Version : Greetings and Salutations!

tarsus
05-15-2006, 10:00 AM
Hi, I’m Tarsus, a perhaps future Envoy or Knight of the Duchy of Wessex. I just read the announcement on the Darkfall forums and was immediately intrigued by your community. I skimmed the information on their main site but was left with some practical concerns about just how strict the RPing will be if I chose to apply.

Many of my previous experiences has lead me away from the RPing communities of several clan/guilds due to their commitment to realism, more specifically, the means of communication by which gulildmates/clanmates talk which each other. Voice communication programs have been crucial in achieving victory in the battle field, especially against a highly organized group of opponents and I think Darkfall will even include an in-game voice chat program if I read correctly. While role-playing is a high priority on my list of guild attributes, my competitive nature refuses to compromise when it comes to game-legal ways to increase the odds of victory in battle. Previous guilds/clans refuse to use these types of programs as it allows communication between people from distances that would normally require message runners. If I may ask, what is this communities’ stance on this subject?

As I await an answer, I’ll continue my reading of your history, heh.

Protonix
05-15-2006, 06:24 PM
No worries Mate, RP is completely optional and ought not to effect gameplay whatsoever. I am here, which is a tribute to the free nature RP (I don't really partake) the Duchy holds.

Dizaster Kaztro
05-15-2006, 06:46 PM
Previous guilds/clans refuse to use these types of programs as it allows communication between people from distances that would normally require message runners.

Gadzooks! that would be somewhat annoying...

Yeah im in the same boat as Protonix, the S.S.Noroleplay, so the Duchy is pretty open with RP...

Stop by the tavern if your looking for some good RP'in.

Hope you find your home here!

Nira Nathair
05-15-2006, 08:02 PM
Roleplay participation and style is completely at your discretion. It's polite not to jab about RL topics in in-game public channels, but nobody is going to hang you if you do.

We will definitely make use of voicecoms for combat, personally I hate them but they're a good tool.

His Grace has an EXCELLENT post on his vision for RP and Wessex. Read it here! (http://www.duchyofwessex.org/forum/showthread.php?t=6)

(Note that just because he's not a fan of RP events, doesn't mean there won't be a few. :p)

Firax
05-16-2006, 02:44 AM
I myself love voicecoms, just because I'm a terrible speller and typing during combat is hard a standard MMO - I don't even want to think about doing it in DK's realtime system. *shiver* I myself am all for incorporating game mechanics into Roleplay. If death isn't permanent, well then I my character wont pretend it is. And etc for other things. Other wise you get a swiss cheese RP plot. Although I haven't been here long, I'm already getting a sense of that 'you get what you put in' sense, from roleplaying in the Duchy. :)
You wont catch me trying to roleplay on voicecomms though: I'm a horrid actor. :P

~Firax

Nira Nathair
05-16-2006, 03:03 AM
I myself am all for incorporating game mechanics into Roleplay. If death isn't permanent, well then I my character wont pretend it is. And etc for other things. Other wise you get a swiss cheese RP plot.

I couldn't agree more. Overlooking things and suspending disbelief is one thing; make-believe is quite another.

I'm already getting a sense of that 'you get what you put in' sense, from roleplaying in the Duchy. :)

Exactly. It's however far YOU want to take it. Which is pretty much what Darkfall itself is about!

You wont catch me trying to roleplay on voicecomms though: I'm a horrid actor. :P

I think just about everybody here feels the same way about that. :D Especially when it's a crossdresser like me. ;)

tarsus
05-16-2006, 07:27 AM
Sounds good to me, heh. After finals are over, I'll get to work on my back-story. I promise no bandits killing my parents or references to crimson, hehe.

Manus Dei
05-16-2006, 09:57 AM
Heheh, bandits killing parents. Make your story at your leisure and rest assured we will use voice communication. It's nice to see a new batch of interested members finding us on the forums.

tarsus
05-20-2006, 08:31 AM
Oh yeah, I believe I was to "request access to appropriate forums." Not sure exactly what forums those are though, hehe.

Oakk Haddock
05-20-2006, 09:12 AM
Everyones parents were killed by bandits.

Surly von Fishbarrel
05-20-2006, 09:40 AM
Mine weren't... but I feared that they would be, so I killed them myself to spare them the fate.

Firax
05-20-2006, 11:27 AM
Actually, mine were killed by dinosaurs. :3

~Firax