PDA

View Full Version : From the mists of the sea

Caledonn
04-05-2008, 03:30 PM
*With burned hide and dry hair an blonde bearded man in rags crawls from a faible construction of planks and rope to the beach draging the miserable float behind him. Coughing and kneeling he touches the ground with his forehead*

Finally..Land...i almost ceased to hope..*cough*

Looking around the deserted coastline no one was to see, so the man stripped himself naked and begun to drag a corpse from the float on the sand destroying the woody construction in preparition to make a fire. While waiting for the planks to dry Radaqua drags the corpse behind him to the trees standing a little further from the sandy shore leaving it at a shadowy place. Using stones as picks and a solid plank as shovel he digs a grave for his comrade.

After some time of digging he stands in a hole of around 3 feet depth as hie wipes the sweat off his face he glances up to see an arrow pointet at him by a man in a hooded cloak ready on the bow to end his life at the moment the fingers loose.

With a calm voice of a man having all under control the Archer ask him.

So what exactly are you thinking what you are doing here?

I'm burying my fallen comrade a loyal and a good man whatever you have in mind with me i ask of you the favor to bury him. I wouldn't want him to be the next meal of wolves and crows.

With an insinuation of a nod the Ranger agrees to the request.

Do as you must. After that i will do what i must

Thank you Sir

After a a while the dead man is put to his final rest with the grave covered by a blanket of stones.

With a long look at the grave and a last salute with the fist to the heart Radaqua says the last farewell.

Well well you had your wish. Get your clothes we will go now, but im not taking you to a settlement as naked as you are.

Reminded of his nudity Radaqua coughs in embarassment. Yes sure

Going back to the beach he collects his rags and puts them on.

i'm ready, i do not own more..anymore

then let's go..you first

if i might ask a question sir..where am I?

You have entered the domain of his grace the Duke of Wessex the Duchy of Wessex. If you dont mind would you be so friendly and tell me your name?

Radaqua Caledonn, Lord of Duchy Caledonn of the Kingdom Moralltach under her majesty Queen Lady Svava. Gone back to the sea as it took land and people to the cold depths of the ocean. So i guess im just Radaqua Caledonn. What are you going to do with me?

Frankly i don't know yet. For the first i'll bring you back to the nearest village and see if i can get hold to a sheriff who will take you into custody until it's known what will happen to you. As much as i regrett your loss, without the power behind your names, you are a mere strayer. Perhaps you will be given the chance to join the people of Wessex in their service to the Duke and the light as a villein, perhaps not. It's not my decision.

Frowning Radaqua repeats the word slowly..villein. I'm afraid the sea won't share my wife with the duke or his barons..it won't even share with me he says with a sad smile. But then again starting from the bottom might be the right place to beginn a new life. Is there any chance of advancement or will i remain a serf for the rest of my life?

First of all you will have to be accepted into the duchy, which i promise you will be harder than you think. If you then should be accepted, it will depend on you if you will raise in status and rank. His grace and his court do not give away titles freely but neither do they neglect merit and commitment. But yes if you should be accepted as a subject and serve the Duke and his people..us...well, you might end up with the right to carry your own crest again in the service of his grace.

With a last look back to the sea with a thoughtful voice the ragged shipwrecked replies:

So be it... what is gone is gone for good. What lies ahead of me will be seen.

In all cases..welcome to the Duchy of Wessex and have a safe time here.. i'll see to this. You shouldn't worry too much about it right now... first of all we'll eat something whether you will stay as a subject or as a passing traveller shouldn't burden your mind today. We will set up a camp for tonight. Give me a hand preparing those rabbits for a meal.

---------------------------------
ooc:
Hello all!
i'm Bj?rn from Switzerland at the age of 29. As most of you i'm also longing for darkfall online with all the prospective possibilities it seems to offer. The little story above should signify the end of the era of this character in the service of a very old clan of another game (D1) i hope the next chapter of him will be in the Duchy of Wessex as a subject of some sort. As a ragged fugee he might start from the bottom of the ladder, but beeing who he was, will strive for more whether he will succeed, or not or even be allowed to try is up to you of course.

My preference of gameplay is roleplaying which is the foremost reason i'm here at all. Further the duchy as i see it, represents a force of order by law beeing a power of the "light", which would be the second reason i am here. While i am unsure yet which place i would want to aspire to in the duchy in the end because of the sheer possibilities Darkfall seems to offer i hope, to find sanctity of a home her among people who strive to accomplish something toghether thriving on common accomplishments and successes who will carry the name of Wessex far and wide as a force to be reckoned with, be it as a military force on land and on see, arts, inventions whatever. If it is your goal to have the appereance of your flag strike fear in the hearts of the enemies and relief of those in need i'd be happy to carry it with you with hand heart and mind with each step i take.

For the Glory of Wessex, for the Duke and for the Light of the next day my fealthy is yours... if you want it.

Tewdric Veincrusher
04-05-2008, 04:38 PM
Welcome to Wessex.

I am in no doubt that you will be able to rise through the ranks of Wessex and once again reclaim the honor which you have lost to the sea.

I am Tewdric, a Pursuivant to Chrono. I am sure my master or I will answer any questions that you may have.

Caledonn
04-05-2008, 05:44 PM
Thank you very much for your welcome!

As it is, there are indeed some questions.

As i read on the site there are the four mainpaths one can choose from.
Military, Bureaucracy/Administration, Economy/Production/Trade, and Clergy. Will there be possibilities to change the paths as for example serving in the military for a period of time and return to the path of the Burgess continuing with trade? Or follow the burgess path and enlist later to the serve the administrative wing as an aide/clerc etc?

Are there plans to erect prestige objects like world wonders, or to take examples of UO a tamed beasts zoo, TeleportRune library, geographic map institute or similar collections and objects of prestige?

Military: i might be mistaken but i see a big emphasis on land forces. While i'd be interested into going to shipcrafting there is little use to build ships of Wessex does not have or want to have Maritime Forces to man them, or if it is a midland. In this case i'd focus on buildings instead.

Villein: While i have no problem bowing my knee to the lords and ladies i ask myself how the taxation will work. Half the income as tax, if i read right? With all due respect i'm wondering if thats not an unrealistic burden to place on the base. Workshops smithies docks farms all this will cost investment money which will be hard to raise with such a heavy tax and hamper the education of the crafters and thus with the building of a solid economy and production which we will need to fill the Duchys coffers and arm soldiers, ships etc. Such a tax burden might also repell newcomers who might become an asset to the duchy. Be it individuals or clans who might be "subjugated" by diplomacy or conquest. Anyhow as it's the only point of concern i'll accept it as i have said i will bow to the laws und rule of Wessex if i get the chance and thus carry the burden.

Diplomacy: What is the default stance of the Duchy towards

- use of mercenaries (officially sanctioned as a means to bolster military, allowed for merchants to protect transports, not at all)?
- means of expansion (settlement, diplomacy, conquest)
- Projection of power: if a neighbouring Domain is beeing engaged in a war beeing underdog against someone we see as foe, we'll we intervene or will we keep to our own?

Uncommon laws: Is there any laws concerning magic restrictions whatsoever (like summoning demons in the cities etc) who apply, which i might have missed?

Thanks for your consideration

Radaqua Caledonn

Tewdric Veincrusher
04-05-2008, 06:16 PM
As i read on the site there are the four mainpaths one can choose from.
Military, Bureaucracy/Administration, Economy/Production/Trade, and Clergy. Will there be possibilities to change the paths as for example serving in the military for a period of time and return to the path of the Burgess continuing with trade? Or follow the burgess path and enlist later to the serve the administrative wing as an aide/clerc etc?

The Duke stated that everyone is required to fight. If you have chosen to be a villien or a burgess then you will fight in the milita, this is like the part of the army to increase numbers. If you choose to enlist to be a footman or archer you are committing yourself fully to the army of Wessex. You will have to attend Drills sessions and so forth. If you want to do what you stated above then i recomend you stay as a villien and join that main army when you are needed.

Are there plans to erect prestige objects like world wonders, or to take examples of UO a tamed beasts zoo, TeleportRune library, geographic map institute or similar collections and objects of prestige?

I am not one to give a full answer to this however i would asume once in beta we can see if these "world wonders" will benefit us in anyway. If they do then i would guess that we would try and obtain them once we are fully settled in DF.

Military: i might be mistaken but i see a big emphasis on land forces. While i'd be interested into going to shipcrafting there is little use to build ships of Wessex does not have or want to have Maritime Forces to man them, or if it is a midland. In this case i'd focus on buildings instead.

Wessex will certainly focus on Naval Warfare. At the moment we have not done much to promote it because we do not know entirely what it is going to be like in Darkfall. If one is enlisted as a footman though you may be ordered to be part of the navy so we can fight efficently when bording a ship. You should talk to Orishas Morgan who is also interested in shipbuilding and the navy.

Villein: While i have no problem bowing my knee to the lords and ladies i ask myself how the taxation will work. Half the income as tax, if i read right? With all due respect i'm wondering if thats not an unrealistic burden to place on the base. Workshops smithies docks farms all this will cost investment money which will be hard to raise with such a heavy tax and hamper the education of the crafters and thus with the building of a solid economy and production which we will need to fill the Duchys coffers and arm soldiers, ships etc. Such a tax burden might also repell newcomers who might become an asset to the duchy. Be it individuals or clans who might be "subjugated" by diplomacy or conquest. Anyhow as it's the only point of concern i'll accept it as i have said i will bow to the laws und rule of Wessex if i get the chance and thus carry the burden.

I am not a reever so I am not the best person to answer this question but i would guess that the government will help pay and create the "Workshops smithies docks farms" you talk about as it will benefit the economy like you said.

I am sorry but i have to leave now so i can not answer the rest of your questions

Komako the Hawk
04-05-2008, 07:17 PM
...Military, Bureaucracy/Administration, Economy/Production/Trade, and Clergy...

Expanding on Tewdric's response, you have the freedom to pursue multiple careers if they are congruent with your social status (http://www.duchyofwessex.org/forum/showthread.php?t=76) within Wessex (such as being a Yeoman and Soldier simultaneously). Keep in mind, however, that members of the Clergy forswear secular loyalty and serve the Church.

Military: i might be mistaken but i see a big emphasis on land forces. While i'd be interested into going to shipcrafting there is little use to build ships of Wessex does not have or want to have Maritime Forces to man them, or if it is a midland. In this case i'd focus on buildings instead.We'll have a navy, but as Tewdric implied, lower ranking naval members will probably be serving dynamic positions between land and sea combat. This probably won't be the same with the Captain, Mate(s), and other officers on a ship as they'll be busy managing the vessel. I expect to see a relationship in Darkfall where villeins (social sense of the word) are leased from their Knight or Lord to the Captain of a vessel on a part-time basis.

While i have no problem bowing my knee to the lords and ladies i ask myself how the taxation will work. Half the income as tax, if i read right?The economy of Wessex is shaped in a pyramid like-manner for organizational purposes - such is the structure of feudalism. Villeins collect gold and loot and turn them into their respective leaders based upon how much their "taxed." This is no different than a group of guildies mustering their cash in a guild bank. A reeve, employed by such leader, would be in charge of the transactions. Then, the leader, most likely a Knight or less-ranked gentle member will take a percentage of that money and pay it to their liege lord's bank (The Duke of Wessex) based on the taxes levied upon them. The entire system is a highly cooperative one which emphasizes teamwork and commitment to the clan.

Also - don't expect your taxes to be 50%. As long as the vassal-holder can make his payments to his liege lord, he'll can tax however he pleases. His command to achieve the amount that he's being taxed for could even be as simple as "We need 50,000 gold pieces by X date, everyone should farm together on Saturday to achieve this."

- use of mercenaries (officially sanctioned as a means to bolster military, allowed for merchants to protect transports, not at all)?
- Projection of power: if a neighbouring Domain is beeing engaged in a war beeing underdog against someone we see as foe, we'll we intervene or will we keep to our own?This quote from the 3rd Fireside Chat (http://www.duchyofwessex.org/forum/showthread.php?t=975) should illuminate your general curiousity into your diplomatic questions:

When it comes to alignment, I can only say that this is a pvp game and our goal is to bring ourselves a lot of victories and expand our power and influence. This goal matches my "role" of being a nobleman, and I may do things that seem ruthless and calculating to other factions- even supposedly "similarly aligned" ones, though never to our own. That said, it will behoove us most of the time to be a place that represents civilization and order and where resolute, strong, but otherwise friendly people dwell.

I highly encourage you take the time to read the Fireside Chats as they are the best citational source for all policies Wessex.

Uncommon laws: Is there any laws concerning magic restrictions whatsoever (like summoning demons in the cities etc) who apply, which i might have missed?Wessex has a generally negative view on demons and necromancy from an RP stance, as such magical abilities are associated with the Church of Malaut. But for the continuing prosperity of the clan it's essential that we exploit and abuse every unbalanced magical ability in the game - whether or not it's an "evil" sort of magic. Keep in mind though that you shouldn't actively flaunt openly that you're using such magic, part of the Church's job is to maintain the RP atmosphere, and they won't take too kindly to bold displays of evil magicks...

Caledonn
04-05-2008, 09:52 PM
Thank you very much for your informations your excellency. It has answered most of my questions. I'm confident i will fit in the Duchy and in my mind i have some plans to make myself an useful addition to the duchy.

/bow

Barden Jusik
04-05-2008, 09:55 PM
Welcome to the duchy then!

Slash Redhand
04-05-2008, 10:33 PM
Welcome to the Duchy:gds::gds:

Vec Peregrinus
04-05-2008, 11:20 PM
Hello Thar and welcome to Wessex Caledonn!

Wait a tick! No one told me this was a nude beach! *Rips off his pants* Some one get me a tropical drink stat!

Enjoy your stay. :) *walks off looking for his drink*

Manus Dei
04-06-2008, 09:10 AM

Radaqua Caledonn

All the things which the villeins are farming for and donating that 50% actually BELONG to the lords - that is to say, farms, docks, and some workshops and smithies. The portion of the harvest that the villeins are allowed to keep goes to their personal use.

But remember that most actual traders who truly do own their own buildings and are not merely farming for their lords are going to be burgesses, and burgesses do not pay a tax of 50% - they might pay something like 10 or 20%, and not to a liege lord, but to the communal town they live in. However, a burgess is far far richer than a villein, and 20% of a burgess's income may be 5x what is 50% of a villein's.

Einar Tyrssen
04-06-2008, 09:23 AM
TAre there plans to erect prestige objects like world wonders, or to take examples of UO a tamed beasts zoo, TeleportRune library, geographic map institute or similar collections and objects of prestige?

Radaqua Caledonn

I cannot say for Wessex, but from my days in UO I intend to develop a university for study of Agon in Sleggjaholl. Also, as a part of the university I do intend to create a museum of sorts that display rare artifacts and such for the public and to show off our exploits.

Welcome to Wessex. :)

Chrono Veincrusher
04-06-2008, 03:59 PM
Caledonn, Welcome to these parts of Agon.
Hope you enjoy your stay and good luck with your application.

Caledonn
04-07-2008, 01:21 PM
Thank you so much Chrono

While waiting for approval or denial becoming a Wessexian subject i might as well use that time to find out more more about the domain i'm currently in (Since the damn game Shadowbane won't run due to some mysterious reasons)

Since i plan to play more of an erudite (wizard or priest) character and basically want to know all there is to know about and around the society i'm with i'll just bug you with some more questions.

Diplomatic stances:

While we..or you are Allied with the Republic of the Silver Sun i wonder what stances Wessex takes towards

Elves in general?
Dwarves in general?

What ist it about the Realm of Kirdain?

What is our relation to the Red Order?

The Society of the Anvil?

any other notable special relationships

who the feck is house shivering?

Dreign Swift
04-07-2008, 03:54 PM
...carry the name of Wessex far and wide as a force to be reckoned with, be it as a military force on land and on see, arts, inventions whatever.

...If it is your goal to have the appereance of your flag strike fear in the hearts of the enemies and relief of those in need i'd be happy to carry it with you with hand heart and mind with each step i take.

For the Glory of Wessex, for the Duke and for the Light of the next day my fealthy is yours... if you want it.

...Diplomacy: What is the default stance of the Duchy towards

- Projection of power: if a neighbouring Domain is beeing engaged in a war beeing underdog against someone we see as foe, we'll we intervene or will we keep to our own?

Radaqua Caledonn

Man, I like this guy. So many of the questions you have are the same ones I was asking His Grace in the DF forums back in Dec '06. The comments on your desire to glorify the name of Wessex/causing it to be a most respected name are also nearly verbatim to those which I expressed upon my entrance to these forums. We definitely think alike :). Perhaps I was also the Ranger who found you at the coast?

Welcome to the forums, look forward to getting to know you better.

Caledonn
04-07-2008, 04:48 PM
The comments on your desire to glorify the name of Wessex/causing it to be a most respected name are also nearly verbatim to those which I expressed upon my entrance to these forums.

I think that is nothing exceptional to want to further the wellbeeing of ones society one choosed to align with. At the end wenn strangers come to one of our cities moaning in astonishment, visiting one of our libraries reading through the scrolls seeing the patrols making it safe to travel and it is mentioned it is cause to pride for what WE achieved be it through farming, organizing or defending.

Wessex has a plan it has dedicated people tho achieve something big togheter and not beeing a strider rag tag band. Some may take pride beeing a famed hunting group ousting pk-nuisance 1034, others by sponsoring a wonder or similar object of prestige having ones corner within the whole to excel in, but still for the benefit of all. Defenders know what they defend, builders know it will be defended.

While there is the grand scheme the gentry sees to there is also plenty of space for personal achievements within the whole, while beeing a personal success still benefitting the duchy adding to fame and recognition. Frankly i want Wessex to succeed and i want to be a part of that will that will make it succeed.

I also want to see how wessex forces eventually plant their banner in the enemy capitals razing the cities returning with riches beyond recognition. Of course i have ambitions for the House of Caledonn as well but i assume everyone has also ambitions for one self too ;-) The journey to the goals will be most interesting.

Yes why not you could be the ranger that found my ragged self and i'd be happy to get known to you and the others. By what name shall i call you?

Dreign Swift
04-07-2008, 09:00 PM
By what name shall i call you?

I am called by Dreign Swift, and known as Dreign the Swift. There was a time when I was known as Hagakure. Swift to a border skirmish, I am first to the defense of Wessexian interests, whether material or otherwise.

Pleasure to make your acquaintance.

((OOC: I'm not usually quick to "in-character" RP, but I kinda like what I've got here. Maybe this will serve as an inspiration to finally draw out a character description for myself :p))

Tewdric Veincrusher
04-07-2008, 09:14 PM
I know this is slightly random but my dream for Wessex is that it to become so big that guilds will form within it. But when our nation is in trouble the entire Duchy will unite under Our Graces Flag.

Now that would be cool

Orishas Morgan
04-07-2008, 09:23 PM
((Wow - Welcome to the Duchy - you definitely seem like you would fit in here. The enthiusaism flows from your words, and I am glad to have you join our ranks. As Tewdric mentioned I am also very much interested in shipbuilding and Naval Combat. It seems there havn't been many that have *enlisted* in that branch of the Navy, but I'd imagine once people are able to ride boats in beta that may change. If not - we may simply have captains and mates and man the cannons with Footman, Archers and Militia.

I was actually working on a cheesy promotional video to Get Duchy members to join the Navy - it was suggested I change it into more of a Duchy Promotional video, so I'm waiting on somebody to make a Navy Logo.

The money that the government collects will be 'going back' to the people per say. Duchy crafters will be paid money to make goods, and those goods will be used for Duchy Military/towns, etc. So the 50% tax may seem steep, but there are ways of lowering that amount (becoming a 'freeman', joining the military, etc...), and even if its not lowered it'll be beneficial for the towns.))

Caledonn
04-08-2008, 12:06 AM
Thank you!

I think this will be easy made and be a necessity anyway else the giant complex becomes to unpersonal and at the end unattractive without a lets say smaller and closer subgroup be it the gentry league, clerics or a military unit, a fief or a crafter community.

The money that the government collects will be 'going back' to the people per say. Duchy crafters will be paid money to make goods, and those goods will be used for Duchy Military/towns, etc. So the 50% tax may seem steep, but there are ways of lowering that amount (becoming a 'freeman', joining the military, etc...), and even if its not lowered it'll be beneficial for the towns.))

Oh man now you got me started... ;-)

While i fully see the need of taxes to maintain buildings, npcs and military i have my doubts if the extreme tax burden of the initiate ranks isn't counterproductive in the end.

- morality issues because it will be very hard to advance from the remains skilling professions, replacing lost and robbed stuff
to lower the taxburden one is almost forced to join the military no matter of skill or interest. Which will drain the raw material gathering and production and the education of skilled crafters and harvesters.

- assuming Wessex will also expand by conquest it i assume it will by large easier to convince a conquered populace to continue under the banner of wessex without having them squeezed out like sponges. Most who do not actually seek entrance to Wessex such as myself will probably just give us a FO with a tax of 50% and move on, disperse or join our enemies, while we might win over a populace with a traditional tithe of 10% or maybe 20% as initial punishment tax for resisting us.

Getting to keep Buildings and achievements might well be a good lever motivation to change the flags of the city to our side, perhaps even without fight. But an envoy will have it hard to convince someone of a 50% tax who isnt originally dedicated to Wessex.

Our Army might be big and conquer what comes across but it will leave us to man the cities, mines and fields entirely with our own people thinning out Army and workforce while we may win over more productivity with a more humane tax thus not needing to withdraw people from other sections or even the military to exploit our gains.

- Wages. The players are coming from all over the world with this having different online times. While tax my be deducted automatically i doubt wages will be distributed automatically as well. Which will lead to shortcuts for the individual to advance in strength and skill as the redistribution will be slower then the collecting causing bottlenecks and delays.

Especially in the beginning when we have to secure space it might prove bad if our smiths lay behind in crafting, our mages are behind with power and healers equally so because one didn't have the money at the time when the opportunity was there to visit the teacher buy reagents whatsover. As one not allways knows when an enemy strikes.

Whatever i'm not claiming i know all and the plans. the high ups might have other considerations which make such a tax useful. While it may serve to sort out a dedicated elite i still think 50% ist to lesser extent interior and to a very big extent exterior bad if we are to convince people that wessex' fields are the greenest.

Villeins don't get wages anyway and later in the game they are the pool from which replacements for the replacements are hired.

Trade taxes, tolls and mauts might prove far more profitable if we get enough people to pay it. (also foreigners!) That way the guards at the gates, harbors and the bridges have something to do additional to the guarding and we also get a glimpse of the "person flow" and "commodity flow" within the duchy improving oversight (could perhaps be instated as an added value tax with the npc traders if possible)

well my 3 cents for what its worth, i know what i have to expect when i join, but don't expect me to say it's a good idea when i think it's not. I say big tax at our base is undermining our publicity perception (diplomacy), morale, and personell influx and in the long run erosive to Wessex' efforts to build the biggest domain in the world and by that i stand!

But i fully understand that a reeve wants do return with weighty coffers, when you get at me just bring enough time so i may convince you are making more by taxing me less ;-)

Concerning the the shipbuilding i'd be very much interested in an enterprise building ships/buildings (as soon as i have worked off the leash of my fieflord)

Orishas Morgan
04-08-2008, 01:17 AM
But i fully understand that a reeve wants do return with weighty coffers, when you get at me just bring enough time so i may convince you are making more by taxing me less ;-)

As a reeve, I'd be a simple administrator. Having more tax money will not benefit me directly, but just benefit the province as a whole - and Villeins recieve this same benefit. I don't believe the 50% is set in stone either, more of an example. The tax rate will be monitored closely by Thirlan, the Exchequer, to make sure the proper funds are coming in without overburdening the clan members.

Concerning the the shipbuilding i'd be very much interested in an enterprise building ships/buildings (as soon as i have worked off the leash of my fieflord)I expect to be very much involved in making buildings and ships as well. You will not need to wait to get involved, you can make your way as a merchant/crafter even as a villein. If you want to own building, your could purchase one and become a burgess - but that doesnt need to happen right away. While you are still earning money you could hone your craft. You could join up with others to get facilities.

I expect Lost Isles Trading Co to have burgesses with crafting buildings that they will lease out to villiens needing workspace.

Einar Tyrssen
04-08-2008, 02:29 AM
While i fully see the need of taxes to maintain buildings, npcs and military i have my doubts if the extreme tax burden of the initiate ranks isn't counterproductive in the end.

- assuming Wessex will also expand by conquest it i assume it will by large easier to convince a conquered populace to continue under the banner of wessex without having them squeezed out like sponges. Most who do not actually seek entrance to Wessex such as myself will probably just give us a FO with a tax of 50% and move on, disperse or join our enemies, while we might win over a populace with a traditional tithe of 10% or maybe 20% as initial punishment tax for resisting us.

Well, perhaps Wessex will allow more conquered land to be given to Sleggjaholl in the future, when we grow. In such a case, I must address the above point with how it would work in my land. Wessex I am unsure of, I think the Duke would stomp out any opposition after they failed to agree to one or two rounds of negotiation. But that's just how I see him.

Anyhow. In such a case, let's say we came across a tiny human clan that was grossly underpowered. Since I would be of higher rank, I'd basically give the option of Odalsbondi to the guild leader. That is, to say, that he pledges tax support and possibly military service to me (if he so chooses) and I provide him access to facilities such as a market, safe trade routes and other luxuries he'd enjoy as if he were a regular bondi. (knight) The main difference is, the odalsbondi are not required to pledge support in military matters and can do with their land as they see fit. The only thing they do is pay a tax and possibly some work in labor in exchange for my protection. Now, it may be in their best interest to actually go to war and in such a case volunteers individuals to bolster either an army or the personal ranks of high-ranking individuals who operate like captains.

I am not sure of how Wessex would handle it, probably sub-clanning.

Manus Dei
04-08-2008, 04:13 AM
That's exactly how we'd handle it. Also, for those clans we encounter who do resist us and whose land we do claim, I will disperse it and reward fiefs of it to my best lords, generals, and knights. It's possible for someone like Sir Einar to become thane of both Sleggjaholl and some as yet unnamed fief that was once part of another realm. Being the lord of two (or more) fiefs, Sir Einar may accept fealty from someone and award one of his lands to that person.

Einar Tyrssen
04-08-2008, 04:58 AM
That's exactly how we'd handle it. Also, for those clans we encounter who do resist us and whose land we do claim, I will disperse it and reward fiefs of it to my best lords, generals, and knights. It's possible for someone like Sir Einar to become thane of both Sleggjaholl and some as yet unnamed fief that was once part of another realm. Being the lord of two (or more) fiefs, Sir Einar may accept fealty from someone and award one of his lands to that person.

Of course a fast-track to peership would be finding several clans willing to submit and take them over. It doesn't matter how many times you slice it, this system works.

Which is why we're so popular and these newcomers are lucky to of chosen us from the get-go.