PDA

View Full Version : Greetings from a Traveller

Phyrndyl
10-11-2007, 02:16 AM
New Trial Member
Name: Phyrndyl; surname pending study of usage here
RW Age: 53

I am brand new here and have yet to peruse the forums fully. So, rather than discuss where I fit in, I'd rather discuss what I am looking for, and where I've fit in previously, elsewhere. A small digression into "why PvP?" seems necessary, as well.

I play to have an interesting and involving "second" life. In the context of fantasy, I love the mysteries and rhythyms of a "normal" life. I am a crafter or tradesman by temperament, having endless patience for the creation of things, assuming there is some "real" purpose to such things. I will not grind for experience by and large, either in crafting or combat. I much prefer to craft things that are needed, and to fight things that need to be fought. I will not necessarily expect to find it in DF, but I am looking for a gameplay arises from conditions of the game world, and not from artificial and extreme leveling concerns. I like endlessly moldable worlds far more than I like endlessly moldable characters. I love to explore as well, but I do so at a pace designed to keep me safe. I fight when I must, in defense of home and in furtherance of my community.

I like PvP, to be trite, because the real world is PvP...and yet, does not devolve into endless carnage. PvP makes danger in these games real because I feel that one's first priority in RP, always, is survival. So, my rule number one of gameplay--death must matter. To me, if to no one else.

No game to date has succeeded in harnessing the power of PvP with purpose and responsibilty, but many have devolved PvP into carnage and pointlessness. I want the fear that comes with never being safe and the consequence that it brings to one's decisions. I want the gameplay that comes from organization as the solution to the PvP-enabled aggression of others.

I came to Wessex because it seems to promise that organization. I am looking for a niche to support the efforts of this society, however peaceful or warlike it may become, just as long as there is an underlying sense of purpose to its course.

....to follow, some of my MMORPG history

Phyrndyl

Theodoric Brionne
10-11-2007, 02:24 AM
I assure you, that it can all be found here. Welcome to the Duchy, Phyrndyl!

Galan Askew
10-11-2007, 02:26 AM
Welcome!

Leto Atreides
10-11-2007, 02:31 AM
welcome, from one that recently arrived also!

Finnigan
10-11-2007, 02:32 AM
A stern looking man in full platemail comes forward to stand before Phyrndyl, with a firm narrowness to his eyes. Without missing a beat, however, his visage softened and a grin replaced the frown.

"Well met, Phyrndyl." He exclaims, sweeping into a low bow. "My name is Finnigan William Worcester Ap Gruffyd McGowwan III, Footman of the Ducal Garrison."

He comes up from his bow.

"And let me welcome you to the Duchy of Wessex. If you have any questions, then by all means voice them," he continues. "As I would be honored to assist in answering them, fair traveler and craftsman."

((OOC: I look forward to hearing your mmorpg experience. And as for surnames, you have a great variety around, so it might be hard to judge. :) From McGowwan, to Fishbarrel. ^^))

Talfryn Emrys
10-11-2007, 02:33 AM
A well constructed and interesting post my good man!

Welcome!

Phyrndyl
10-11-2007, 02:35 AM
I tried to type this all in one piece, but I found myself disconnected when I tried to publish. So, now, as part 2 of my introduction:

I have played many, many MMORPGs but my only previous PvP experiences were two. A short trip to Asheron Call's PvP server--where I hid out in a deep beginner's cave, leveled beyond the admittance level of the cave (thus insuring my safety within) and used ritual suicide of lesser characters to go to town as necessary. I created my own story within the limitations of the wanton PvP that occurred near that town. A short experience with WoW PvP struck me as insipidly pointless, but then again, I feel that way about WoW, generally. I have never killed anyone in PvP, and rarely been killed, but it has been clear in both those games that PvP was all about level and aggression. Defensibility, purpose, responsibility, consequence, story--none of those had any relevance whatsoever to those games. So I made my own, in AC at least...The Hermit of Holtburg Cave and his band of cultists.

My biggest involvemnet in an MMORPG was in Asheron's Call, as a member of a huge (1000+) monarchy. I was Chief of Procuremnet and, as such, kept three full slates of characters (15 total) busy full time, collecting and distributing the wealth of armor and weaponry of the entire monarchy. Periodically, I did get out to explore and fight with the guild members, as well. I ran a webpage to list all the material. Of particular note in understanding my playstyle is that I thereby found a perfect niche for a VERY strange character, one who was initially optimized for a lady friend of mine at the time--with Specializations in all the "shopping"/Appraisal skills and completely gimped in anything resembling combat skills. I don't believe in optimization, but in adaption.

In SWG, I rented land from other players and erected harvesters and stores as I could afford them. I recall that we started with rights to use 10 pieces of property and I was using 40, running a virtually fulltime business till the day I quit. As with most of these games, they start out challenging, but end up trivial. Once I acquired top-end everything (harvesting/store-wise), had more wealth than I could ever spend and raw materials stockpiled beyond my space to store it, the game lost it's appeal. I think I went close to 4 months without killing anything.I thought the economic model worked well except, of course, for the inevitable deflation. It required socialization, which was also a considerable merit of AC's monarchy system. A lesson from many games is this--easy loot trivializes game and eventually kills them. Continuing immersion requires that things maintain their value.

Well, there have been more games. It is no secret that I am still looking for a game and a community that provides some richer, fuller fantasy setting...a more "real" fantasy world. I am looking for a fantasy life with purpose, risk, challenge, and danger. But mostly, I'm looking for a game where choices and actions have consequences.

Phyrndyl

Theodoric Brionne
10-11-2007, 02:47 AM
And that is why it is a blessing that you have come to us, as a major contributing success will be the supply not only to the Ducal Garrison and its troops, and with items degrading over time and full loot; I don't see a crafting burning out after months/years of play.

Gwar
10-11-2007, 03:09 AM
Welcome aboard, Gwar likes crafters (>^_^)>

Hamlet
10-11-2007, 03:12 AM
Nice intro post! You'll find all that here and more, I assure you. Welcome!

Chrono Veincrusher
10-11-2007, 07:58 AM
Really nice intro post.
I love your level of dedication to the RP parts of a game.

Welcome to Wessex and good luck with your application if you haven't already been accepted and waiting for a sheriff.

Zora Flynn
10-11-2007, 12:56 PM
Welcome from a fellow newcomer! Sounds like you'll fit right in.

Aiden Morild
10-11-2007, 03:26 PM
Welcome!

Einar Tyrssen
10-16-2007, 06:28 AM
Why can't I recruit anyone like you? Hahaha.

Welcome. Even though I'm not exactly in Wessex, I'll still greet you just because.

Dreign Swift
11-23-2007, 12:34 AM
Although it's quite after the fact, and you haven't necessarily been around that recently, Welcome to the Duchy of Wessex! I must say, I would consider the Duchy quite fortunate to have a player of your caliber and experience join our numbers. I do sincerely hope you stick around.

If you have time, might we hear some stories or descriptions of your former kingdoms? What worked, what didn't work, lessons learned, entertaining stories? It is always wise to learn from history, whether it be mistakes or triumphs, and who could turn down a well-told story or two?

- Swift

Valucis Amilis
11-23-2007, 06:10 PM
A tall man wearing a robe walks through the bussling crown and draws down his hood, smiling at the newcomer. "Greetings friend! Word of your arrival reached my ears, and I wished to come greet you myself." The Robed man eyed the newcomer more intently before continuing, "My name is Valucis Amilis, the pleasure is mine. I am sure we will see much of each other, as for now, my time is spared, keep safe my friend." Valucis bowed his head slightly before turning and walking away, wrapping his robes tightly around him in the evening wind.