PDA

View Full Version : New Member here

Topher der Jagermeister
04-17-2007, 05:28 PM
hi i am a new member to the Duchy. i am from Florida, USA. i am 22 years old and i am a college student. my major is business. i am engaged, but no date set for wedding. if anyone wants to know anything else then just message me. it is great to be a part of the Duchy and hope to get to know you all a little better and get to work with you all on whatever games we may play together.

Slanzar van Fanel
04-17-2007, 05:59 PM
Is nice to hear you are getting married ! Welcome to the duchy !

Topher der Jagermeister
04-17-2007, 06:27 PM
i was told to put my name on the beta list on the forum, but i cannot find the forum listing for the beta. could someone let me know where to find it?

Oakk Haddock
04-17-2007, 08:08 PM
It's in the buroughs I think. Hey, welcome. So what games have you played? How did you hear about the Duchy? Any plans for Darkfall in concern to playstyle?

Topher der Jagermeister
04-17-2007, 08:22 PM
I play tribalwars, themobster, knightfight, and i have an account on both WoW and FFXI but do not play them very often anymore. as for Darkfall, i plan to go straight up melee. i will possibly try mounted combat, but warrior is what i always do on RPGs, so i may try Gladiator on Darkfall.

Topher der Jagermeister
04-17-2007, 08:54 PM
i plan to try to stay with a good alignment though. dont want to be too evil so that i can still move around the world freely and not get attacked by all the guards when i go into any city. i am still learning a little bit about the game so i dont have everything completely figured out, but i have a pretty good game plan for what i normally do.

Topher der Jagermeister
04-17-2007, 09:48 PM
actually after reading up on a few more things on Darkfall and on the forums, I would really like to be part of any sort of cavalry that the duchy may have. if i could become an esquire to someone or whatever other rank i might be able to achieve eventually is what i would really like to try and pursue. if anyone could tell me what type of rank exists and what i need to do to follow its path then i would appreciate it very much.

Jord Hunter
04-17-2007, 10:36 PM
Welcome to the Duchy. :)

Oakk Haddock
04-18-2007, 01:22 AM
We do have esquires. Theres several Lords already, and many of them have one or two. They arn't easy spots to get though. It'll take some time in the guild, or great aptitude in fighting or some other area.

Beric Veincrusher
04-18-2007, 02:20 AM
Welcome to the Duchy of Wessex. IRC is usually rockin some kind of conversation if you want to meet a couple of us pre-game.

We play a lot of games as well, so if you're looking for pre-game fame then you'll definetly want to check these out.

Aiden Morild
04-18-2007, 10:29 PM
Welcome to the Duchy

Topher der Jagermeister
04-18-2007, 11:26 PM
i have registered on IRC, but i have not seen anyone talk all day. i dont know if there is something wrong with how i have setup or not, so could someone please let me know?

Baurus
04-19-2007, 02:32 PM
People talk on IRC usually during saturday or sunday.
It's really dead right now.

Chrono Veincrusher
04-20-2007, 03:32 PM
Greetings, Welcome to the Duchy!

Silvius
04-20-2007, 05:31 PM
welcome!

Tagrun Urit
04-22-2007, 01:59 AM
Yes Welcome! And what is your name on Tribalwars, we are on World 5 here.

Topher der Jagermeister
04-22-2007, 10:01 PM
my name is Topher12 on Tribalwars. i have villages on worlds 3-6, but i mainly play on world 3. world 5 is not looking so good for me right now, i might be having to start over soon if my bigger neighbors decide they like my village.

Erwin Carius
04-22-2007, 10:09 PM
Welcome Thoper12QB, I hope you'll be happy here in Wessex, and that it's ok I call you Thoper in the future. :)

Topher der Jagermeister
04-24-2007, 04:51 AM
Thoper? i normally go by Topher, so i do not mind at all if everyone just calls me Topher or even Toph. but i do not know if Thoper was a typing mistake or if it has some other meaning.

Beric Veincrusher
04-25-2007, 12:20 AM
I think Toker would be an awesome name.

Topher der Jagermeister
04-25-2007, 10:01 PM
well im not much of a pothead so that would not fit me very well. and am i able to have a signiture made before i am a full member. or is becoming a full member basically the main requirement?

Aiden Morild
04-25-2007, 10:10 PM
Having a Wessex made signature requires being a full member, but I think your free to use your own til then

Topher der Jagermeister
04-25-2007, 10:13 PM
well i would but i dont have a signature. im not very handy with all the graphic art kind of stuff and would have no clue how to make a signature. i have plenty of experiece with playing games and typing up papers, but absolutely none with art stuff like that.

Chrono Veincrusher
04-25-2007, 10:36 PM
Having a Wessex made signature requires being a full member, but I think your free to use your own til then

Err no :p, Just using a signature is a privilege for those with full membership.
Or atleast that's what i've been told :O

Topher der Jagermeister
04-25-2007, 10:59 PM
yeah i know i read somewhere about the signature stuff, but cant seem to find it right now. i thought it required being a full member, but could not remember if it specifically said that when i read or if i just kinda figured that it was a requirement.

Chrono Veincrusher
04-26-2007, 01:51 PM
You can read more about it in:
The Town Gates -> Official Signature Request.

Have you consider what race you will be playing yet?
If not, I recommend the Dwarfs of course.
Strong, sturdy and a regular customer in the tavern!

Godric Whitetree
04-26-2007, 02:48 PM
You can read more about it in:
The Town Gates -> Official Signature Request.

Have you consider what race you will be playing yet?
If not, I recommend the Dwarfs of course.
Strong, sturdy and a regular customer in the tavern!

Not to mention excellent ammunition for the siege equipment.

Chrono Veincrusher
04-26-2007, 02:53 PM
No no no!
Stop scare him like that!

Topher der Jagermeister
04-26-2007, 07:07 PM
well in other games i have always gone as a human warrior. i will have to experiment a bit with the game to know how i will set up my warrior on DF, but im thinking a heavy breast plate, large shield, a good helm, and a scimitar should be my main concerns for equipment. may throw in a lance as well when in larger, more organized battles. i really want to be a part of the cavalry though, so i may have a couple different setups depending on what type of fighting i will be doing. i believe the dwarfs will make good foot soldiers, but i think they will also have a large disability when it comes to mounted fighting.

Chrono Veincrusher
04-27-2007, 01:20 PM
i believe the dwarfs will make good foot soldiers, but i think they will also have a large disability when it comes to mounted fighting.
No, We are smaler then the Humans and the Elfs so mounted we are fast and deadly with a higher chance of survival.

Komako the Hawk
04-27-2007, 02:18 PM
No, We are smaler then the Humans and the Elfs so mounted we are fast and deadly with a higher chance of survival.

Dwarves also seem to think the ass is a mouth.

Chrono Veincrusher
04-27-2007, 03:15 PM
And in what way is that negative?

Aethelric Brandt
04-27-2007, 05:12 PM

There is a problem when the animal's mane and head disrupts your entire frontal field of vision..

Topher der Jagermeister
04-27-2007, 05:43 PM
yes but i want to be part of the cavalry. how is a dwarf gonna be able to hit anything if they are up on a horse? i dont think that their attack range will be as large as the humans or elfs. and then the point that Aethelric made about not being able to see anything because you will be in first person view except for when you are fighting. if i have this wrong then someone please correct me, but that is what i understood from reading the stuff on the DF website.

Chrono Veincrusher
04-27-2007, 06:28 PM
how is a dwarf gonna be able to hit anything if they are up on a horse? i dont think that their attack range will be as large as the humans or elfs.
I think your wrong.
What calculates your attack range would be the weapon type, not what race you are because then some races would always be on top in 1vs1 with the same sort of weapons...
Or am i wrong?

And about the mounts.
The horses are ridiculous big so the mane won't bother you, the only problem is mounting them.
Garmirs/Deathpig/Drake don't have a mane.
And the cat... they got fur, not mane.
So the mane is not a issue.

And of course the mounts won't have race requirement for riding.

Topher der Jagermeister
04-27-2007, 07:24 PM
i have not read anything yet about combat as far as attack range and all that is concerned, but if they are trying to make it more realistic then i would think that the dwarves would have shorter attack range but would do more damage (assuming that all other equipment and weapon skills were the same).

Chrono Veincrusher
04-27-2007, 08:08 PM
Making the game more realistic in that way would make it to unbalanced.
But only time will tell ;)

Topher der Jagermeister
04-27-2007, 08:36 PM
well you dont want every character to just be the same. give each race certain strengths and weaknesses. a dwarf will still be hard as hell to kill for someone that is actually on a mount, but the dwarf would have basically kill the horse before they would be able to reach the rider. and dwarfs will have an advantage when it comes to close range combat. a human vs a dwarf in a face-to-face duel that way would be unfair to the human, unless the human has a lance or something to keep the dwarf out of range. i dont want everything to be all balanced. i want certain races to have an advantage over another race in a certain area.

Dreign Swift
05-07-2007, 08:13 PM
Greetings, Topher12QB. Nice to see someone else in Florida (I'm currently in Pensacola, FL).

I would suggest you change your forum name to the exact name which you'll use in-game, keeping in mind that we'll have last names. This will do a few things: It will give cause for a greater measure of initial respect from your potential clansmen (some CS-types are unfazed by seeing numbers and special characters in a person's name, but I believe the majority of us will be unable to keep from looking down on those with such), it will solidify and protect your identity in our society (changing your name after months of being here without a signature or any other identifying marks is quite detrimental to this), and it will ensure that there is no roster confusion come gametime.

Simply make a name change request in this thread and one of the sheriffs will handle it promptly.

Chrono Veincrusher
05-07-2007, 08:45 PM
Do we know if last names will be implented in DF?
And will they in that case be forced?

Godric Whitetree
05-09-2007, 02:47 PM
I do remember a mentioning of surnames, though I don't think they said if they would be required or not. I do, however, remember them saying in the naming conventions that first name's will possibly be unique, meaning that once a name is taken, no one else on that server will be able to use that first name. Surnames will be allowed to be the same, though, to allow players to RP families and such. Still, for those of us like myself with fairly common names, it could be hindering.

Topher der Jagermeister
05-09-2007, 07:02 PM
well i hadnt even thought of the whole last name thing. i always use some variant of Topher, so it will not be too confusing in our roster i do not believe. if i need a last name though, then i would like Topher de Jagermeister. if one of the sheriffs knows how to put the corect characters and such in there then please do so. i personally dont know how to do the special German characters. i am also not sure if "de" would be the correct form in German. if anyone could help me with that as well then i would greatly appreciate it.

Chrono Veincrusher
05-09-2007, 07:24 PM
J?germeister (like in masterhunter) or J?germeifter(the alkohol)?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/b/bc/Jagermeister_bottle.jpg/180px-Jagermeister_bottle.jpg

Topher der Jagermeister
05-09-2007, 07:27 PM
what is a meifter? I believe that I want Jagermeister, but would still like to know the translation of meifter.

Chrono Veincrusher
05-09-2007, 07:37 PM
No idea mate :p
Can't find a dictionary that supports it.

Topher der Jagermeister
05-09-2007, 07:49 PM
Jagermeister is the name of the alcohol. it is just a funky looking "s" on the label. i once thought the same thing but my fiance is German so she filled me in on the correct pronounciation and what it means. and since i am a good ol' southern boy, of course i like to hunt lol.

Topher der Jagermeister
05-09-2007, 08:58 PM
Alright, so I would like my name to be changed to "Topher de J?germeister" and if "de" is not correct then someone please correct me because my fiance is currently in Germany visiting her family so I cant just ask her right now.

Manus Dei
05-09-2007, 10:01 PM
I think it would be "von".

Aiden Morild
05-09-2007, 10:20 PM
Does that mean Topher the J?germeister, and does J?germeister mean master of a strong beer flavoured with herbs ??? :S

Chrono Veincrusher
05-10-2007, 02:24 AM
Does that mean Topher the J?germeister, and does J?germeister mean master of a strong beer flavoured with herbs ??? :S
Did you read all the post's? :p

J?germeister (like in masterhunter)

Tagrun Urit
05-10-2007, 03:32 AM
We should have a naming contest! I SAY MUFFIN!

Topher der Jagermeister
05-10-2007, 04:35 AM
im sorry Duke, but i do not believe that "von" would be correct for Germen. "the" in German would be "de", "der", "dea" i do believe. i think that "de" would be the correct form since it is probably being used in a neutral form in this case. possibly would be "der" if it is a masculine form. "von" may be correct in another language though, but i was going for German since my fiance is German.

Manus Dei
05-10-2007, 09:01 AM
Naturally I assumed you were trying to say "of".

Topher der Jagermeister
05-10-2007, 11:59 AM
I see, well then you could very well be right in that case. again i am still learning German little by little and really know very little right now lol.

Beric Veincrusher
05-10-2007, 05:36 PM
In German words have genders, unlike English in which you only really have the ____ in german you have der, die, or das _____. So if you wanted to call yourself Topher12QB the Jagermeister, you'd just say Toper12QB der Jagermeister, since if I remember right Jagermeister is masculine.

Aethelric Brandt
05-11-2007, 01:33 AM
Nah. I always see chicks drinking it.

I'm here all week.

Beric Veincrusher
05-11-2007, 01:57 AM
'Beric Beerbelly' ... Has a good ring to it

Komako the Hawk
05-11-2007, 02:35 AM
I think this thread is the longest hello thread in all Wessex.

Topher der Jagermeister
05-11-2007, 05:30 AM
everyone must just like me so much. btw is anyone gonna play TW on world 7? you can choose what area you want to start in so we could possibly get alot of people somewhat close to eachother.

Chrono Veincrusher
05-11-2007, 12:34 PM
They should have done that a long time ago.
Too bad i lost interest.

Topher der Jagermeister
05-12-2007, 12:39 PM
alright well just to make things clear for any sheriff that would like to change my name for me, i would like my name to be Topher der J?germeister. if i find that this is not the correct way to spell everything when my fiance gets back from Germany, then i will just request another name change with the correct spelling. or we could just wait till she gets ack to do the whole thing i guess.

Novalithen
05-16-2007, 04:12 PM
For what it's worth, Topher der Jagermeister would be correct. And yes, I am fluent in german. Wenn du mir nicht glaubts, dann kannst du mich am arsch lecken. :)

Also, my wife (who is a German) says an older title for hunter would be Waidmann.

Topher der Jagermeister
05-16-2007, 08:47 PM
thats pretty cool. i am still learning german, and i am not very far into learning i might add. i hope to be fluent in it one day, but that day will probably not be too soon. thank you for the info. and if you dont mind me asking, what part of germany is your wife from?

Novalithen
05-17-2007, 03:39 PM
She is from a town called Villingen-Schwenningen (two joint towns) in the state of Baden-Wuertemburg. If you are sans map, just think the bottom corner bordered by France and Switzerland. We were just on the cusp of the Black Forest.

As for speaking German, I am a firm believer that there is one and only one way to become fluent in a language. You MUST live in a country where it is the native language for at least 1 year. And don't hang with the American kids and speak English because it's easy. Save English for your phone calls to your mom.

Also, play video games and watch a lot of TV, and listen to radio in your chosen second language. It makes a HUGE difference. You hear repeated patterns and sentences (commercials, show intros, game text) that truly help you to memorize the grammar and vocabulary. It's all about repetition. That is how you learned English, and it is how you can learn other languages.

Well, that's my 2c.

Topher der Jagermeister
05-17-2007, 03:58 PM
well with all of my trips to Germany i have spent a total of about 7 months over there, but it probably does not have the same effect as staying there for a year straight. my fiance has talked about possibly moving back to Germany after we are married and have finished school, so I will be forced to learn it quickly if we do go down that path. i plan to take german classes at my university in the next year or two, so hopefully that will teach me some of the rules of the language that my fiance has had difficulty explaining.

as for the geography, i do know of the general area that your wife is from but i would have to see a map to know that exact location. my fiance was born and raised in Berlin, so i call her one of the boring Germans because they do not really have an accent or their own dialect of the language. but this will probably make it easier for me to learn. thank you for all the info, it was a very useful 2c to me.

Novalithen
05-17-2007, 04:55 PM
Heh, my wife and I have had several similar discussions. I would love to go back and live in Germany, but my problem is that I just don't know what I would do over there for a living. If I didn't have a family to support now, it would be easier. Sigh.

Have you found anything that an Ami like us could do well in over there? I have Mad PC Skillz, but I would like my bi-lingualism to be used to my advantage. That, or open a shop selling PCs/techie bits somewhere.

Anyway, it sounds like you have a great headstart with so many months over there already. I was writing that prev. post with the college age types w/o a german fiance in mind. It's just the immersion that is important, and lots of it. :)

Topher der Jagermeister
05-18-2007, 07:11 PM
well i believe that the pc skills can be used anywhere in the world. and being bi-lingual already just adds to the opportunities. i am sure that you could find a job doing something with computers or programs in many companies over there. or you could open your own store there doing the computer store thing. in berlin there are many americans that have restaurants and there is even a chain of icecream stores that is named "Florida." i am in school majoring in business and hope to do construction here in the states. but construction will not make me much money in Germany because everything was built hundreds and hundreds of years ago. so i am in search of something that i could make a career out of there too, but the business degree should help me some.

Novalithen
05-21-2007, 09:42 PM
heh, we could go over there and start a chain of internet cafes. That would be sweet.

Beric Veincrusher
05-21-2007, 10:19 PM
Not to mention that ice cream is run by mafia.

Internet Cafe might work since their semi socialist.

Topher der Jagermeister
05-22-2007, 02:55 AM
i dont know if the internet chains would work in Berlin, but it may in other areas of Germany. in Berlin it seems that you can get internet service in many places through wireless. and Dunken Doughnuts already has internet connections in all of their stores there. may be on the right track there though, just dont know if a pure internet cafe will succeed so well. my fiance still have another 5-6 years of college though, so it will be atleast that long till i would move over there anyways. still plenty of time to plan...

Topher der Jagermeister
05-26-2007, 06:36 AM
well a new month is coming around. i wonder if i might make it as a full member this time around. what ya think Duke? i know you have been busy with your new business, but will there be any new full members this month? i would love to have all the full rights and a cool sig.

ps- i am doing a demolition derby on June 1st in Bithlow, FL. i know it doesnt take as much skill and training as martial arts, but gotta have some mad driving skills to really compete in them. wish me luck. hopefully i can take first this time around. my dad took 1st the time before last.

Manus Dei
05-26-2007, 08:15 AM
You're a swell guy, Topher. Of course I'll let you in this time. Watch for the announcement.

Topher der Jagermeister
05-28-2007, 06:51 PM
Thank you, Your Grace. I guess you are a pretty swell guy too. :p