Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Something Rotten in the State of Wessex

Manus Dei is offline His Majesty, King Manus of Hyperion
    Duke of Wessex
    Count of Elba
    Grand Master of the Solar Legion

Default Something Rotten in the State of Wessex

Morning shadows fell long across the walls and battlements of the Tower of Win-caster, capitol of the Duchy of Wessex. Crows cawed with seemingly intuitive anticipation as they danced upon the walls and parapets, sniffing the air and flapping for precarious balance.

In a ramshackle lean to with iron bars lying at the foot of the tower, two ducal subjects hugged their knees and tried to sleep. Within the bars the captives' breath misted in the cold morning air, spouts of steam passing between dirtied and disheveled mops of hair.

Fenris the Ranger and Protonix, Esquire to the Duke of Wessex were to stand trial today for crimes most capital: high treason and conspiracy to overthrow the court. Their faces seemed to show litle evidence of that, however. Only vacant stares adorned their visages, mutely gazing into the distance.

Vladius Sigismund, Sheriff of the Watch, led a small unit of guards up to the front of the lean to and looked uncomfortably at his brother within. Without a word, he took a large key ring from his belt and turned the lock, preparing to lead the two prisoners from the lean to. All the soldiers turned their heads away and gagged at the smell of the two as they lead them on down the lane into the square before the Cathedral of St. Germaine.

A gallows lay off to the east side of the square, next to the pillory. On the north side, in front of the Cathedral itself, a platform had been erected with a long table on top of it. At it sat Nira Nathair, Mistress of Heralds, Destinova, clerk of the Ducal Court, and Lord Aeneas, Constable of Wessex. Between them all sat the duke in judgement. All about, a crowd had already gathered. Some watched thoughtfully, others heckled and yelled insults at the two as they passed.

When the two had been led into the center of the square and shackled into benches there, Vladius Sigismund approached the bench. "Your Grace, I bring before you one Protonix, Esquire, and one Fenris...Sigismund, ranger of Wessex. They stand charged with high treason to your person."

The duke stared down and asked, "How do you plead, and who will you call for your defense?"

Fenris Guest

OOC: Alright, heres the deal chums.. I'd like someone to at least contact me and let me know what i'm charged with and the evidence held against me first. I came back from 2 weeks of having my ISP down to be banned and ignored by anybody who normally could give me answers. So at least for my sake, you could tell me what I managed to do in the course of 2 weeks of no IRC and very limited forum PM's sent from a public library computer to check up on things.

Duke of Wessex
    Count of Elba

Quote Originally Posted by Fenris View Post
    OOC: Alright, heres the deal chums.. I'd like someone to at least contact me and let me know what i'm charged with and the evidence held against me first. I came back from 2 weeks of having my ISP down to be banned and ignored by anybody who normally could give me answers. So at least for my sake, you could tell me what I managed to do in the course of 2 weeks of no IRC and very limited forum PM's sent from a public library computer to check up on things.

The charges were announced by Vladius the sheriff. You are charged with conspiracy against the ducal court and rebellion. How do you plead?

Fenris Guest

Fenris cocked his head back and peered up at the Duke and his panel from the bench he was shackled to. A rough stint in the Ducal dungeons had him looking ragged and tired, with bruises across much of his exposed body.

"Cold and impassionate as usual.." the Ranger muttered, "I plead not-guilty Your Grace, and call Komako, Seeker of Truth, to act as my defense in the procedings. Perhaps she can shed some light on this false case of guilt by association where I had not associated."

Duke of Wessex
    Count of Elba

Alas, Komako is one of the witnesses that will be called by the state against you, therefore she may not act as your defense lawyer.

Please choose another.

The square was swamped by citizens to see the drama in the center unfold. Rivers Kelak struggled and staggered to get a clear view of the goings-on, as he tried to find a view. Seeing over humans was no problem, but he found difficulty in finding a spot between the many Mirdains that had also accumulated.

He finally made his way through the crowd to the front, where he stood examining the center. Two men, he thought, two men who he once knew as comrades and would drink himself silly with. How could this be? Could his trusted comrade Fenris really have done such a deed? He couldn't fathom a scenario where treason against Wessex involved Fenris of all people.

Looking amongst the crowd, Fenris' eyes met with Rivers'. Rivers stared into Fenris' eyes in an earnest nature. He wasn't quite sure whether to believe the things he has heard against a thought-to-be brother of Wessex, or to scream out in desperation that the madness around him stopped. He wasn't sure what to do but to stare into Fenris' eyes to try and read the truth. He had no clue what Fenris was thinking back towards him, but he hoped by the look in his own eyes that Fenris knew he would be willing to help him if he needed anything.

"Excuse me Your Grace..."

A voice from the crowd is heard.

"...It was not mentioned there be any specifics on who may be called. I was not aware Your Lordship could make up rules for such trial on the fly.

I serve truth, and there shall only be truth, even if I must testify and defend Fenris."

Komako walks up in front of the north table, awaiting reply.

Duke of Wessex
    Count of Elba

I am protecting Fenris's right to a fair trial, Komako. The evidence and testimony you planned to give us do not exactly help to indicate Fenris's innocence.

In this case, for Fenris's sake, your truth must come out on the witness stand.

Besides, I am not "making up rules on the fly"... The idea of you cross examining yourself would be ridiculous.

No, he must choose another.

"Very well then. I will wait until acting as witness.

The trial must be fair."

Fenris Guest

"In that case, Your Grace.. I call a good friend none of you might know to the stand.. Enoch Mechaeon, Paladin of the order of The Watchful Eye..."

Closed Thread

Thread Information