+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Exciting times for Darkfall

Quote Originally Posted by Duke Wessex View Post
    Right, and I will back up Sir Rhygar here to say that while the creation of a functioning in game society/kingdom was always the main goal of Wessex, it was always with the understanding, as long as the game supports it. We have never been one to handicap ourselves against the way the game actually is for the sake of an ideal - rather, our structures and concepts were chosen because in addition to being immersive, they are supposed to work. If Darkfall doesn't give any incentives to not be ARAC, then that is not our fault. It profits us nothing to force a specific race and class on our people because of our notions of "racial war". You will find in games, as well as in real societies, that racism, xenophobia, etc goes out the window when it's in everyone's best interest, hence, the realities of global commerce and ecclectic societies as they exist today.

Now, on a historical note - Hyperion became ARAC because we conquered vast swaths of territory where certain races dwelled. I was king of the entire region of Morak, so at that point, what ought we to do, not allow orks? Heh, the Greeks always hated the Persians, but when Alexander conquered Persia, what was he supposed to do? Not allow Persians in his domain?

At any rate, the present venture in Darkfall is not Wessex proper. It's not a duchy - it's a colony. Think the North American British colonies. They were headed by governors, not landed lords, and these did so in the name of the British Crown. And, as is often the case with venture colonies like this, they are rather motley and diverse. Think Barbados, or British Guiana for our current Darkfall enterprise, and Sir Kaylem as governor, holding what he holds as representative of a distant and occasionally concerned seat of power. The character of the colony itself: filled with all the color and variety of a port or a frontier town.
    Greetings manus, long time no see.

While I totally see your point I think that being arac oriented may have a lot of downsides directly hitting against the core principles of wessex, which I already mentioned above, and not only the fact that being arac doesnt fit very naturally with the original concept of the clan.
    Getting players from all races basically means allowing everyone with any mindset. And seriously, I dont think many orks or mahirims or alfars might want to join wessex because it brings a rp-functional feudal gaming society.
    Now I ask, if you aim to get this type of players what do you think will be left about wessex in a while?
    Sure you have some very good core of officers perfectly melted with what wessex really means, but what will happen when they are the only ones interested to keep the rp side of this community to a noticeable extent?

Also I think you are handicapping the clan much more with this type of policies than if only allowing players looking for that kind rp experience. Because as I said , I dont think the power of a clan comes from numbers but from concepts. And seeing a self proclaimed duchy with wolfs and orks is kinda contradictory for traditional rp'ers , or simply players that would like to feel immersed in such a setting. And there is those type of players in Darkfall and they are all from the same 3 races.

I dont have the feeling of being handicapped just because we dont have the chance to reach as many members as the average df clan. I would feel handicapped if we allowed alfar fps kids and the like inside a clan they simply shouldnt be looking for.
    Last edited by Aikar Walmoor; 12-24-2010 at 05:41 AM.

I think by now we get your point friend!

That said I fear we will have to settle for a difference of opinion here.
    As for not settling naturally with the concept of the clan? What the concept of merging a Anglo-Saxon kingdom in to a FANTASY world?

Now sure if the game supported racial conflict then this world be a no brainer, but alas it doesn't. Rather than racial collaboration it is guild merging alliances bearing no restriction on race.

So evolving to the game benefits all rather than mindlessly expecting the game to revolve around a guild, would you not agree?

Let me put it another way for you, a man as two arms but one as a slight deformity.
    Would he choose to not use that appendage?
    No...he would use it to his best ability because it benefits him more than not.

I `am happy that you and yours do not feel handicapped by implementing this racial restriction. But I feel that for what is essentially a new clan returning to darkfall its implication would be dire.

Look on it another way the true kingdom of Wessex was built from a diversity of people hailing from a multitude of geographical locations, In some regards they would have been as foreign to each other in there views and mannerism, making them as good as different races/species.

Quote Originally Posted by Aikar View Post
    Greetings manus, long time no see.

While I totally see your point I think that being arac oriented may have a lot of downsides directly hitting against the core principles of wessex, which I already mentioned above, and not only the fact that being arac doesnt fit very naturally with the original concept of the clan.
    Getting players from all races basically means allowing everyone with any mindset. And seriously, I dont think many orks or mahirims or alfars might want to join wessex because it brings a rp-functional feudal gaming society.
    Now I ask, if you aim to get this type of players what do you think will be left about wessex in a while?
    Sure you have some very good core of officers perfectly melted with what wessex really means, but what will happen when they are the only ones interested to keep the rp side of this community to a noticeable extent?

Also I think you are handicapping the clan much more with this type of policies than if only allowing players looking for that kind rp experience. Because as I said , I dont think the power of a clan comes from numbers but from concepts. And seeing a self proclaimed duchy with wolfs and orks is kinda contradictory for traditional rp'ers , or simply players that would like to feel immersed in such a setting. And there is those type of players in Darkfall and they are all from the same 3 races.

I dont have the feeling of being handicapped just because we dont have the chance to reach as many members as the average df clan. I would feel handicapped if we allowed alfar fps kids and the like inside a clan they simply shouldnt be looking for.
    I think youre now being racist. What you are saying is that you shouldnt allow, for example alfars, into a rp clan because theyre all fps kiddies. I myself rerolled an alfar just because its useful in pvp and I had enough of the human/dwarf/elf. I enjoy the alfar race and I'm sure I can properly roleplay one fitting in the feudal society.

But its all still a matter of opinion, I just dont think it would be the right move for Wessex to stay RAC right now, and so do the leaders which is great. But Equilibrium is a great clan and I'm sure you will make it work.

Regards,

Manus Dei is offline His Majesty, King Manus of Hyperion
    Duke of Wessex
    Count of Elba
    Grand Master of the Solar Legion

Wessex really was never supposed to be a tradional fantasy rp clan. It was supposed to be a history clan. The core concept of the clan is nothing more than to implement feudal structure into a war game, and at the same time to develop a sophisticated culture that is game based. My idea of a "history" clan is simply one whose government and organization responds to a situation in a war game that emulates a situation in history in the same way as governments of that given time. If the situation in history (the game) changes, then the form of the clan adapts too. The Wessex in Perpetuum right now has a very different theme than we do, for example.

This is not the same as following lore. Roleplaying and character embodiment is not a core concept - if it was, the Duchy wouldn't be special at all, it would be just the latest in a chain of unremarkable clans including the Kingdom of Eleador, the Realm of Kirdain, the Kingdom of F'ere'al'da'liana', etc . King Manus is not a roleplayer. King Manus just uses roleplaying sometimes.

Can a character on NA transfer back to EU yet or must they reroll?

They can transfer back no problem.

I might have to do that then, seem to be losing interest in some of the other games we have been playing lately for some reason, heh my character will have fallen pretty far behind the curve though haven't played in some time now.

Quote Originally Posted by Pollux Isenloc View Post
    I might have to do that then, seem to be losing interest in some of the other games we have been playing lately for some reason, heh my character will have fallen pretty far behind the curve though haven't played in some time now.
    Trust me it's still better then mine

Jaidyn Sothenic is offline Lord of Brockmoore
    Earl of Launceston

Warden of Wessex

Quote Originally Posted by Pollux Isenloc View Post

60% of our members have returned after a year including myself, trust me all of our characters are far behind

i need someone to power level my char for me

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information