+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Exciting times for Darkfall

1. Default Exciting times for Darkfall

Recently the communication between the developers and the player base has improved dramatically. There are also a lot of changes coming in that people have been asking for. The latest Activity Report is a great example of this with talk about a political map, reducing the annoying blinds, changes to sieging and helping deal with the grind.

I feel strongly that we are entering the start of great new era in Darkfall and that the Duchy of Wessex with our principles, activity and goal of regional territory control will be on of the factors of this new eras success.

I was very dissapointed to see you are taking the arac approach just for the easy mode, that alone makes duchy of wessex lose most of its old concepts such as church or the feeling of a kingdom.
    Would have been great to be side to side again and form a new kingdom under RAC boundaries and gameplay realism, not being another adams family clan for easymode purpose. Of course you can always "pretend" but will no longer be the same.
    And yes it is possible to form a RAC alliance-kingdom type.

However i wish you the best luck , after all new players are always welcome to darkfall, even if it is just "more of the same".

lol, Aikar, good to see you too! Little bit dramatic, no?

Quote Originally Posted by Rhygar apGwynn View Post
    lol, Aikar, good to see you too! Little bit dramatic, no?
    Sir Rhygar, not dramatic just dissapointed. It seems to me you are more concerned about being a "factor" (aka numbers) than following a realistic kingdom/clan background which in the end will make your clan just more of the same, aka not being a factor.

Duchy of wessex left a trail of glory in Darkfall and one of the keys was the "feeling" of a kingdom which in its core was made of racially aligned clans that shared a common background, all tied together by the aurean church and realistic enemies (racial enemies or arac = barbarian clans) while keeping a functional medeieval hieracy and territorial control.

This time your approach is ovbiously not the same, the fact that you will be arac based is already against the very core requierement to call yourself duchy/ kingdom identity or trying to have a gameworld background other than be another arac barbarian clan. Im afraid you didnt understand one of the key things that made hyperion fail which was growing at the sake of everything. You didnt give a shit about the name of the clans, the role (if they had any) they could bring to a kingdom or the roster, you only cared about numbers and they cared about holdings and pixels. Power/"efficiency" > concepts.

You dont seem to have faith on what made duchy of wessex one of the greatest rp gaming experiences anymore (concepts), you replaced that with faith in numbers and mass control and maybe try to somehow tie everything together and "pretend" you rp and sell the clan as that when in reality will be more of the same we have now disguised as rp.

I say make the clan what is supposed to be, dont be afraid of numbers or noob/vet, but about getting the right people, people that fits with your ideals and racial requisites, if wessex stays true to what it was always supposed to be, its only a matter of time you find supporters and make a new kingdom a reality. Even if not as powerful as hyperion, it could create a very solid identity and uniqueness if we play with the stablished gameworld and lore.

Concept > numbers or power

That said I will always respect this clan and some of the core individuals for its reputation and what inspired me to create the equilibriean order (equilibrium), I hope you rethink a bit your ways if you are going to take a serious attempt in Darkfall and im sure my clan and the rest of my small aliance would be willing to support the rise of a new kingdom, aslong as it follows the lines of gameplay realism.

Jaidyn Sothenic is offline Lord of Brockmoore
    Earl of Launceston

Warden of Wessex

Hyperion was full or ARAC clans, and it is not this time we changed Wessex to ARAC, we did this in Hyperion 2.0 which seems like a long time ago.
    The lesser races we also for RP reasons disallow them any chance to ever become gentry, only humans, elves and dwarves can.

To be honest Aikar your hate campaign against us is getting tiring, you claim to respect us yet you continue to whine on our forums and the Darkfall forums regarding us allowing other races into our midst.
    This decision by the cabinet was not taken lightly, many hours of meetings about this one subject took place, numbers do not bother us as Wessex has always been a game within a game.
    If a player roleplayed a racist towards an alfar in game then fine but why punish a person for playing a certain race, that person could be a great addition to the clan for many years to come. For the last year we have concentrated on our community, not building our numbers. We have taken on board some incredible people who all enjoy the structure of Wessex and its community.
    You claim that Wessex are this heavy rp clan when we are not, it is only our structure. If an orc worships the same god as us would we strike him down? No, we would use him as the slave he was born to be lol.

Anyway, get off our backs in here and the DF forums, its starting to annoy me, and for someone I have a lot of respect for that is a little disappointing on my behalf.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kaylem Sothenic View Post
    Hyperion was full or ARAC clans, and it is not this time we changed Wessex to ARAC, we did this in Hyperion 2.0 which seems like a long time ago.
    The lesser races we also for RP reasons disallow them any chance to ever become gentry, only humans, elves and dwarves can.

To be honest Aikar your hate campaign against us is getting tiring, you claim to respect us yet you continue to whine on our forums and the Darkfall forums regarding us allowing other races into our midst.
    This decision by the cabinet was not taken lightly, many hours of meetings about this one subject took place, numbers do not bother us as Wessex has always been a game within a game.
    If a player roleplayed a racist towards an alfar in game then fine but why punish a person for playing a certain race, that person could be a great addition to the clan for many years to come. For the last year we have concentrated on our community, not building our numbers. We have taken on board some incredible people who all enjoy the structure of Wessex and its community.
    You claim that Wessex are this heavy rp clan when we are not, it is only our structure. If an orc worships the same god as us would we strike him down? No, we would use him as the slave he was born to be lol.

Anyway, get off our backs in here and the DF forums, its starting to annoy me, and for someone I have a lot of respect for that is a little disappointing on my behalf.

Thanks
    Meh I think you are right that im taking this a bit too far, sorry for that. It may not seem that i respect you but i really do, however the frustration of feeling you are going on a contradictory road baffles me when we could achieve something great and truly reborn a realistic kingdom with a little faith and cooperation. Anyway I will stop this "campaign" as you name it, because what you said is simply right and i let myself go a bit too much there.

Not going to proceed on arguing your lines here sir Kaylem, I will still backup my arguments with the same words and you would probably find ways to explain the decision, which for instance I believe the real reason of going arac has more to do with numbers (power) than conceptual, that even tho you explained that other races dont represent leadership or gentry, they look "forced" into the setting more than fitting naturally, and damage more the look of a rp kingdom than benefit, which for many people is evidence that you look for more recruiting width rather than trying to expand the original idea of the clan with this approach.

Anyway, I wish you good luck and no hard feelings for my part, but needed to express my dissapointment as I was always a fierce fan of what you represented, and its simply my opinion on why I think this damage more your concepts than benefit.

Quote Originally Posted by Aikar View Post
    even tho you explained that other races dont represent leadership or gentry, they look "forced" into the setting more than fitting naturally, and damage more the look of a rp kingdom than benefit, which for many people is evidence that you look for more recruiting width rather than trying to expand the original idea of the clan with this approach.
    Forced? I think otherwise. I like the fact that it leads into even more of a caste system which many Kingdoms have had. I like that fact that roleplayers can choose to look up or down upon an Alfar or an Ork, or choose to fit in well with the lesser races due to their social habits. For instance, you don't like it.. So why not join and Role play about how much you hate it while at the same time maintaing respect for the person who plays the character. I personally think going arac allows for more possibilities for role players.

Now I can understand how you might be upset because it wasn't the original plan, but if that is the case why don't you find a clan that can do better, which in Darkfall there is none, so while you're at it find a game worth playing that houses a clan that does any better. I suggest this because the signs given by you show me a lack of compatibility between you and our Alfar players (who happen to make up some of our best players).

However If you can think outside of the box I think that just about anybody can fit in well with the players in the clan. They're all quite good company.
    http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...venHaliday.png

" Life is a test many quest the universe, And through my research, I felt the joy and the hurt, The first shall be last and the last shall be first, The basic instructions before leaving earth " - GZA

Quote Originally Posted by Keaven Haliday View Post
    Forced? I think otherwise. I like the fact that it leads into even more of a caste system which many Kingdoms have had. I like that fact that roleplayers can choose to look up or down upon an Alfar or an Ork, or choose to fit in well with the lesser races due to their social habits. For instance, you don't like it.. So why not join and Role play about how much you hate it while at the same time maintaing respect for the person who plays the character. I personally think going arac allows for more possibilities for role players.

Now I can understand how you might be upset because it wasn't the original plan, but if that is the case why don't you find a clan that can do better, which in Darkfall there is none, so while you're at it find a game worth playing that houses a clan that does any better. I suggest this because the signs given by you show me a lack of compatibility between you and our Alfar players (who happen to make up some of our best players).

However If you can think outside of the box I think that just about anybody can fit in well with the players in the clan. They're all quite good company.
    I happen to lead a RAC clan (equilibrium) and the alliance (bluefield's treaty) made of racially aligned clans (5) all with different backgrounds without being under any type of government (Usually we take decisions as council).
    We may be about 50? actives overall and altho many of us are casual, theres always a good enough playerbase to have fun with. We may not be in the top pvpers list, but neither we are a clan that just went out of monkfield. We improved and built up a solid core of people that defends our principles, that even if not very popular considering the current population, we have our niche and add that dimension of "rp" background or meaning to our existance in the gameworld while being true to our gaming philosophy, which we believe is what the game was aimed to be played and not a quake ffa arac arena with grind.

What i mean is that we never felt conditioned by the arac tendency of every clan, and that doesnt mean we dont have fun or pvp whilist having that unique atmosphere similar to what it was the first hyperion but ovbiously on a small scale.

Quote Originally Posted by Aikar View Post
    I happen to lead a RAC clan (equilibrium) and the alliance (bluefield's treaty).
    Then what are you still doing here? Not trying to be abrasive or rude, I think I should state that since people generally can not convey tones over the internet very well. However if you lead a clan of your own, wouldn't you rather dedicate time to leading them? Or were you having thoughts of rejoining us?
    http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...venHaliday.png

" Life is a test many quest the universe, And through my research, I felt the joy and the hurt, The first shall be last and the last shall be first, The basic instructions before leaving earth " - GZA

Quote Originally Posted by Keaven Haliday View Post
    Then what are you still doing here? Not trying to be abrasive or rude, I think I should state that since people generally can not convey tones over the internet very well. However if you lead a clan of your own, wouldn't you rather dedicate time to leading them? Or were you having thoughts of rejoining us?
    I think i explained why im here on previous posts
    But as a sidenote im at work and cannot log into darkfall so that may be an extra reason
    Anyways, im going to bed.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information