Thread: Vows

Malachi Drake is offline The Usurper
    Former Bishop of Wessex

Default Vows

What is a Vow?

A vow is a free and deliberate promise made to the Radiant Lord. It is a voluntary act of faith by which we deliberately bind ourselves to something greater and they are not commanded of us by Soldeus. Instead they are a sign of self-offering.

Any child of Soldeus may be moved to take a vow. But if someone wishes to enter a life in service to the Church of Soldeus they must take a vow of poverty, a vow of chastity and a vow of obedience. These three vows are collectively refered to as “The Holy Vows”. They are taken publicly which means that they are organised and regulated by the Church of Soldeus and they must be officially accepted by the Church. The Holy Vows are given freely, never out of force or coercion.

Poverty

Members of the Clergy chose to share all in common rather than have personal ownership of material goods and poverty testifies to our dependence upon Soldeus as the source of all gifts and our solidarity with one another. Poverty is also the challenge to see all things and all people as they truly are - as Soldeus sees them - and then relating to them accordingly. When one lets go of the self as the measure against which everything must find its worth the world is set free to be itself.

Chastity

Members of the Clergy chose a celibate way of loving rather than entering into a conjugal relationship. Conjugal love involves a totality, in which all the elements of the person enter - appeal of the body and instinct, power of feeling and affectivity, aspiration of the spirit and of will. A life of chastity allows one to avoid any distraction so that they may overcome every impediment and put aside every care and anxiety, in order to serve, love and honour the Radiant Lord with a pure heart and a pure mind. We must have unconditional love for all his Children.

Obedience

Members of the Clergy chose obedience to indicate a preference for the common good over personal desire. Life only has true meaning when the Voice of Soldeus is listened to and his will is followed. This attentive listening and desire to follow the will of Soldeus in concrete and practical ways is what obedience is all about. It goes beyond adherence to our rules of life or to the constitutions and statutes that guide our Orders. It flows from an intimate and loving following of Soldeus.

Taking a Vow of Faith

Once an individual has been accepted into the Church as a Friar or a Priest they must make a vow of in the Cathedral of St. Germain before they can assume their new position. The vow is a very personal one and each person’s will invariably be different. But each one must feature The Holy Vows.

Many examples of a vow of faith can be found within the Cathedral of St. Germain and one is given below so that you have an idea of what is expected.

I, Malachi Drake, with this public vow, give of myself freely and willingly in service to our Radiant and Glorious Lord. I vow to keep myself chaste and pure of heart and mind so that I may cast away all anxiety and doubt and love Him and all His children unconditionally and completely. I relinquish all that I have and all that I posses so that I may become all that I can and so that I may see the world through His eyes. I choose a life of obedience to His voice and to His Church so that I may feel the warmth of His love and I will follow His will above all else.
    Last edited by Malachi Drake; 03-03-2010 at 10:06 PM.

Malachi Drake is offline The Usurper
    Former Bishop of Wessex

Please note that you do NOT take a vow of faith when you become a Novice or a Deacon as you are still in training. A Friar will make a post in the Cathedral once they have been accepted into the position and a Priest will take his vow of faith as a reply to the post of their ordination.

Thread Information