+ Reply to Thread

Thread: On Diplomacy, In Wessex

Guiscard Guest

Default On Diplomacy, In Wessex

On Diplomacy, In Wessex is a guide on the concept of Diplomacy, and how it effects an envoy in his role within Wessex.

On Diplomacy is divided into several volumes. I've complied Volume One, recently, I've finished chapter I.

On Diplomacy, In Wessex
    By, Rudolf-Volker Guiscard

Volume One
    On the Nature of Diplomacy
    Contents,
    I.What is Diplomacy, What is an Envoy?
    II.End And Means In Diplomacy
    III.The Cunning for Diplomacy
    IV.Information in Diplomacy

Chapter I
    What is Diplomacy, What is an Envoy?

I.Introduction
    While reading, one must consider the single element of our subject, the nature of diplomacy as a whole. One must take into consideration any area, in relation to the other, to be constantly kept in view.

2. Definition
    I shall not enter into the universe of obscure definitions of diplomacy used by common writers. Diplomacy is nothing but the art and practice of representation through negotiation and arbitration. Diplomacy therefore is an act, through politics, intended to best serve and represent our master by compelling our opponent to fulfill our will.
    Diplomacy arms itself with cunning and maneuver in order to contend against our foe’s ability. There are no restrictions, none imperceptible or worth mentioning, or strict guidelines. To begin with, diplomacy may used to our master’s discretion. Either for neutral reckoning of our neighbors or forcibly humiliating our foe, envoys will be used to serve that purpose.

3.Utmost use of Force Through Cunning
    Most may easily imagine a skilful method of overcoming a foe without causing much upheaval or tension, and that the art of Diplomacy. However possible this may appear, still it is an error that must be uprooted. In diplomacy, however bloodless, errors which are caused from a spirit of friendship or generosity are the worst. The use of intelligence follows, that he uses force, without reference to bloodshed or damage unsparingly if his opponent uses less vigor in his application. However, with increased tension, to a degree, one may resort to threats which include, raising crops, or the ran-sacking of villages, may dictate the limitations which are imposed by the amount of counteracting force on either side.
    A diplomat, however humane, must view any matter, even against one’s own interest, to turn away from the consideration of the real nature of the affair. This is because the curiosity, of its elements, may swamp his original interests.
    Through brutal and unjust wars, what makes the civilized different from the savages is the ability for nation states to talk to one another. Out of this social condition, the subject of political reason may be modified. Therefore, to introduce into the philosophy of Diplomacy itself a principle of moderation would be an absurdity.
    Several motives move nations towards political diplomacy with others. Granted, nations must obtain approximations of their political stance and stance of other nation states, influencing of other nations to a viewpoint, and communicate either through economic diplomacy or gathering intelligence. In these examples, envoys must contend with our foe increasing their own means. Especially through power, the universal currency of all politics, through mutual and non-mutual agreements. Lastly, Force must sometimes be countered by force, but it is never the only option.

4.Modification of Policy/Thought in Reality
    Policy/Thought may be definite or unyielding; a diplomat must always balance the proposition of flexibility against firmness.
    Policy/Thought, in itself is abstract reasoning, it may deal with a conflict of forces, or inner laws, but one must seek to deduce pure conception. Because of this, pure conception does not perform well under progressive circumstances. Out of this thought may one lose the play of ideas produced by an almost invisible train of logical subtleties. Such a pen may be a stroke of paper, not by any means may this be adapted to the real world.
    In the Duchy extreme tension of forces is an absolute which may be easily be ascertained. An effort of Will must be required if not in proportion to the proposed object. Everything must be subject to optimism, and we must imagine the one side as well as the other striving after perfection and even attaining it. It will if:
    (1). Certain phases of diplomacy become isolated acts which arise suddenly, and in no way may be connected with the previous history of your foe’s state
    (2). A previously ‘perfect’ solution in which no reaction was calculated for it falls apart
    (3). If a negotiation is limited to a single solution or several simultaneous solutions

5.The Results of Diplomacy are Never Absolute
    Lastly, the use of diplomacy as a whole is not always to be regarded as absolute. The results of diplomacy must be met with seeing what may be and may not be repaired. How much this may modify to the degree of politic, effort, and vigor which is made must be evident in itself. Therefore an envoy’s objective is always to achieve his orders through attaining the highest degree of excellence in maneuver and cunning. But, an envoy will never, ever, attain this degree because of the progression of all real time in Wessexian politics.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I will accept any and all comments, questions, etc.

I think it's a good description on the nature of diplomacy, and there are lots of smart things in there (like for example where you say that the worst errors in Diplomacy usually comes when there's a spirit of friendship or generousity between the negotiating parts).

...But I think the languge is very hard to understand, which in't so good since that deters people from reading it, and since it takes much longer to read it since you have to "decode" all the sentances.

I hope this wasn't too honest, I'm not trying to be rude, but I think this (nobody reading it that is) might be one of the big reasons why you haven't gotten that many replies.

Nira Nathair is offline Former Royal Queen of Heralds Esteemed Guest

I tend to agree. Use of more "everyday" language would make it much more accessible. You have to consider the target audience.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information