Closed Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Rank Description Pages [COMPLETED]

Thumbs up Rank Description Pages [COMPLETED]

Last edited by Komako the Hawk; 07-03-2006 at 09:08 PM.

http://www.duchyofwessex.org/forum/s...p?t=392&page=2 has avatars.

An attachment for anybody that wants to take a shot at this:

Manus Dei is offline His Majesty, King Manus of Hyperion
    Duke of Wessex
    Count of Elba
    Grand Master of the Solar Legion

For the section listed under Tier 8 : "Footmen rank just above villeins" please change that to "Footmen rank just above militiamen in military matters". It's important to continually stress that a footman is not a higher rank than a villein, but merely a villein who has joined the army. Militiamen, however, are forced conscripts, so the footman does outrank the militiaman in the military arena.

Nira Nathair is offline Former Royal Queen of Heralds Esteemed Guest

I do a lot of copy editing and I'm very picky, so I'll help with this. I'd make the following changes:

First I'd change the title of each to the singular rather than the plural, simply because it emphasizes that this is an individual choice, and people like that sort of thing.

For the rest I'll just post the updated text since there are quite a few changes.

Militiaman
    The true Villein of Wessex, an unenlisted Villein, is not normally required to fight in warfare. However, when a Ducal Levy is declared, all Villeins are required to serve as Militiamen. These fearsome fighters use any and all weapons at their disposal. Freeman citizens of the duchy who have not enlisted also serve as Militiamen.
    -Tier 9
    Militiamen hold the lowest possible rank within the Wessex military. They hold no command, and must follow the orders of any officer.
    -Commoner
    Commoners of Wessex are required to pay taxes to their respective lieges. This may take the form of money and/or gathered resources.
    -Trial Member
    To become a Villein, one must first attain Trial Member status.

Footman

When a Villein or Freeman who prefers melee combat first elects to enlist as a soldier, he or she will be considered a Footman. Footmen exist in both the ducal garrison and under the personal garrisons of knights. Footmen have just enlisted and have little combat experience.
    -Tier 8
    Footmen rank just above Militiamen in military matters, and below any other military rank. They receive orders from their respective officers and are expected to carry them out.
    -Enlisted Commoner
    Enlisted commoners of Wessex are required to pay tax to their respective lieges, with a slight deduction. This tax may take the form of money and/or gathered resources. All enlisted commoners are required to attend drills regularly.
    -Villein
    To become a Footman, one must first achieve Full Member status, and then enlist in the military.

Archer
    Those Villeins or Freemen who prefer the bow or crossbow to melee weapons may elect to become Archers. These ranged troops exist in both the ducal garrison and under the personal garrisons of knights. Archers have just enlisted and have little combat experience.
    -Tier 8
    Archers rank just above Militiamen in military matters, and below any other ranged military rank. They receive orders from their respective officers and are expected to carry them out.
    -Enlisted Commoner
    Enlisted commoners of Wessex are required to pay tax to their respective lieges, with a slight deduction. This tax may take the form of money and/or gathered resources. All enlisted commoners are required to attend drills regularly.
    -Villein
    To become an Archer, one must first achieve Full Member status, and then enlist in the military.
    Last edited by Nira Nathair; 06-30-2006 at 04:03 AM.

Duke of Wessex
    Count of Elba

Yes, they must achieve full membership to enlist. I imagine that ingame, full membership will be much easier to come by than it is here.

Nira Nathair is offline Former Royal Queen of Heralds Esteemed Guest

I edited my above post accordingly. Duke, are the parts about Freemen clear and correct?
    Last edited by Nira Nathair; 06-30-2006 at 04:05 AM.

Duke of Wessex
    Count of Elba

It says "footman" on the right side of the seaman graphic.

Also, you should match the singular/plural form of each of the ranks. We have seaman, but then militiamen, for example.

Miles Dei is offline Knight Bachelor
    Knight of the Solar Legion

Prince of Hyperion

For the love of GOD, I'd REALLY LIKE TO URGE His Grace to consider LEAVING POPEYE.

It's just so...fitting and awesome.

Komako, just a quick heads up. In Nira's post for Archers, there is an error in the first sentence. It should read elect not elec.

Archer at the bottom says
    Villein:
    while footman says
    Full Member:

^-- Nira's post :P.
    January 5th, 2006

Closed Thread

Thread Information