+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: I like the concepts of your guild.

Valdemar Severinus Guest

Default I like the concepts of your guild.

Hello everyone,

I was browsing the Darkfall forums and noticed the recruitment post, your guild concepts are very interesting I don't think there is another guild out there that created its own organization as in depth as you guys have.

Question: Did you guys put this into practice, in any other games or is this strickly for Darkfall.

I think that organization in a guild is very important, and if something like this can be put into use it can maximize the strengths of a guild. Lets face it not every one that joins a guild will be crafter, or a knight, a mage, assasin but I guess people will play and tend to stick to whats best for them. By putting people into group structures under leadership can maximize crafter's ability to craft, soldiers ability to fight, leaders ability to lead.

Is this feudal system compartmentalized?

I currently waiting for Darkfall as well, although it's doubtful the game will go into beta anytime soon. I am not in a guild, I am taking a break at the moment and trying to kill some time. You guys mind If i stick around? If DF ever comes out I would love to look you guys up in game and maybe join up and become a soldier, (I don't craft) but fighting suits me just fine I played DAOC and Shadowbane.

Manus Dei is offline His Majesty, King Manus of Hyperion
    Duke of Wessex
    Count of Elba
    Grand Master of the Solar Legion

Well, the only "character classes" we have really grouped is different soldier types - our crafters are not grouped at all, but they can achieve status as a burgess. The only groupings in Wessex really are between leadership, veteran players, and new players. This is the meaning of the feudal structure - it looks like a complex society, but for game management it's very simple and easy.

It's good that you were able to learn about us on the Darkfall forums and that you appreciate what we have done.

Valdemar Severinus Guest

Well, the only "character classes" we have really grouped is different soldier types - our crafters are not grouped at all, but they can achieve status as a burgess. The only groupings in Wessex really are between leadership, veteran players, and new players. This is the meaning of the feudal structure - it looks like a complex society, but for game management it's very simple and easy.
    How will you keep track of the oragnization itself, in other word how will you maintain this type of organizational structure? I am assuming when players join they get to choose which branch of the structure they want to belong to?

Let's say you have a crafter, a pve and pvp casual player, and a pvp enthusiast who just wants to fight. Would these 3 types of players have a different command structure? They would probably have their own Ventrillo channels, and would have different type of jobs or tasks in the guild? How do you tie all this together? Does that mean you actually have serfs who gather resources, they hand it to crafter and the crafter deposits it in the armory and the Soldier who fights constant battles and does not have time to farm just equips it?

This sounds all great but what do you do when there is a serf rebellion? I am assuming it's not real serfdom per say but more of a communal type structure that is loose to the extent that when a player wants to change from farming all the time to a Soldier or a crafting profession he can?

Did you guys test this system out in previous games?

Duke of Wessex
    Count of Elba

No, that's not the system at all. All three of those player types you mentioned would be in the same command structure, because during military operations, there should be only one command structure and everyone should fight- they just occupy different ranks of it. The casual pver, the hardcore pvper, and the crafter all have different rank trees to pursue, but a single player can pursue all three simultaneously.

Valdemar Severinus Guest

I ment chain of command, I am assuming each rank/regiment has it's own squad leader and that squad leader has a superior officer.

---------------------------RAID-----LEADER-----------------------

(Casters)--------- (Healers)--------- (Infantry)----- (Cavlary)------
    ----group 1-------group 2----------group 3----------group 4--------
    Squad Leader--- Squad Leader ----Squad Leader----- Squad Leader
    Member---------- Member--------- Member---------- Member
    Member---------- Member--------- Member---------- Member
    Member---------- Member----------Member--------- -Member
    Member---------- Member----------Member---------- Member

In The order of battle the Orders from the top Guild Raid Leader trickle down to individual Squad Leaders and then the Squad Leaders repeat the
    order to the people under their command. I am also assuming that the same command structure is in place during peace time to get the daily tasks accomplished but normally incorporates and grafts the crafters, and the people who would not normally mine/trade/transport resources as well as manage the daily tasks.

Soldiers do not do the day to day tasks that crafters, miners and guild managers do; they are responsible for boarder security, training, harassing racial enemies etc.

In most cases it's the core of the Army that does the actual fighting, and the people who handle resource gathering, crafting and other stuff stay home; unless of course there is an emergency and they are called up.

Is this what you ment?

Duke of Wessex
    Count of Elba

Yes, but the crafting is not socialized - resources are state owned, and crafters buy them from the state to use in their own enterprises.

Everything else is just about right.

Valdemar Severinus Guest

Yes, but the crafting is not socialized - resources are state owned, and crafters buy them from the state to use in their own enterprises.

Everything else is just about right.
    So in the grand scheme of things the land and everyhting on it including mines, crops, hunting grounds, and dungeons would be state owned.

Let's say for example I am part of the state millitary and I kill a mob and loot it, or I take a break from military life and go grind for some items; if I do this I am not breaking any laws right? How does this work exactly?
    Do I depend on the state to provide me with armor and weapons so on and so forth or do I acquire my own armor's weapons etc.

How do you guys plan on dealing whith micromanaging the Military? You're gona have a Navy, Infantry, Ranged, Cavalry, I am assuming you guys are going to stick to the lore somewhat so how do you divide it?
    What are the possible routes a person joining the military might persue what is he open to?

It sound like a pretty organized system, I can't seem to get my head wrapped around it.

Are you guys recruiting? I would like to sign up as a recruit for Darkfall.

Quote Originally Posted by Valdemar
    Are you guys recruiting? I would like to sign up as a recruit for Darkfall.
    Check this out.

If accepted you'll go through a 2-6 week trial membership. If you pass the trial membership you'll become a Villein of His Grace.

Duke of Wessex
    Count of Elba

Quote Originally Posted by Valdemar Severinus View Post
    So in the grand scheme of things the land and everyhting on it including mines, crops, hunting grounds, and dungeons would be state owned.

Let's say for example I am part of the state millitary and I kill a mob and loot it, or I take a break from military life and go grind for some items; if I do this I am not breaking any laws right? How does this work exactly?
    Do I depend on the state to provide me with armor and weapons so on and so forth or do I acquire my own armor's weapons etc.
    Most of the land that Wessex occupies will be designated as MY land, meaning that all of my villeins are allowed to hunt it, farm it, mine it, loot it as much as they like as long as a certain percentage of what they work goes to me. That's the agreement the fealty that the serfs of Wessex have with me as their liege lord.

Those who become free from serfdom, meaning the burgesses and the yeomen, no longer have to pay half of what they harvest to a liege lord; however, they do have to pay taxes to their collective groups, usually headed by a mayor, who spends funds on upkeeping their city and its walls.

If certain resources have slow spawns and are not completely and instantly renewable, they may be OFF limits for burgesses to farm them outside of the area that exists for their boroughs. Only the villeins belonging to the liege lord in charge of that area would be allowed to farm it, and they must give half to the liege lord. If rangers catch non-villeins farming those areas, that is considered poaching from the lord's lands and there will be penalties. Burgesses needing those resources would have to purchase them from the lords in order to keep the economy running.

How do you guys plan on dealing whith micromanaging the Military? You're gona have a Navy, Infantry, Ranged, Cavalry, I am assuming you guys are going to stick to the lore somewhat so how do you divide it?
    What are the possible routes a person joining the military might persue what is he open to?
    There are three routes someone interested in joining the military might take: enlisting as a footman, a bowman, or a seaman. Footmen and sometimes archers can promote to cavalry.

Valdemar Severinus Guest

Most of the land that Wessex occupies will be designated as MY land, meaning that all of my villeins are allowed to hunt it, farm it, mine it, loot it as much as they like as long as a certain percentage of what they work goes to me. That's the agreement the fealty that the serfs of Wessex have with me as their liege lord.
    So depending where you stand on the social ladder you will be taxed, but how exactly will taxes be collected? I think this depends entirely on mechanics, and the taxation system that the guild implements would have to reflect that.

The loot table should reflect the Mob, at least that's how i understand it from reading the various Darkfall info that's avaliable. If I kill a rat, i wont get money from killing him or armor or weapons, a possible resource might be rat fur or rat meat. If I kill an Orc or a bandit I will end up with loot reflective of what the mob has on it, possibly coin. The question is how does the tax collection system work, it has to be somewhat based on not only on currencies, but resources as well.

Those who become free from serfdom, meaning the burgesses and the yeomen, no longer have to pay half of what they harvest to a liege lord; however, they do have to pay taxes to their collective groups, usually headed by a mayor, who spends funds on upkeeping their city and its walls.
    What % of taxes would be applied to each rank in the guild? And if someone does become a merchant they are technically a part of the guild they are not free in the sense that they are just citizens do they have different guild tags? Can you explain to me the fundamental difference here.

If certain resources have slow spawns and are not completely and instantly renewable, they may be OFF limits for burgesses to farm them outside of the area that exists for their boroughs. Only the villeins belonging to the liege lord in charge of that area would be allowed to farm it, and they must give half to the liege lord. If rangers catch non-villeins farming those areas, that is considered poaching from the lord's lands and there will be penalties. Burgesses needing those resources would have to purchase them from the lords in order to keep the economy running.
    Are Burgesses people who joined the guild and then left it? Or just merchants in general who might or might not be part of the guild?

Would it be correct to say that only members of the guild are allowed to farm/hunt/collect resources within the kingdom. And if a non-member of the guild or members of some other guild are found to be harvesting resources from the Kingdom itself the State's Garrison.Military will take immediate action of some sorts? Wonder how this will work out, seeing that there is alignment in game, how will you keep in check other Human clans that travel through and poach the kingdoms resources.... looks more like a job for the Diplomatic team rather then the Military since their hands will be tied down because of alignment.

Interesting stuff.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information