+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Community Platform Development

Dreign Swift Guest

Could the Soacio platform manage something like an out-of-game alert/alarm system for group-specific in-game emergencies?

Say there is an urgent matter at hand in the outskirts of the Duchy capital, everyone in the "Peer," "Constable," "Forester," and "Ranger" usergroups would be sent an external message/alert informing them of these happenings. Or if our harbor and ships are being attacked, everyone in the higher-up groups and all the garrison and sea-farers would receive a message/alert. Of course the affected groups could be anything, those are just some quick examples.

I was initially thinking something like RSS feeds might be helpful to accomplish this, but I'm sure the Community Site has far better tricks up it's sleeves than that. Maybe there could be an alarm for nation-wide emergencies which all must receive, and anything else beyond that would be voluntary. I don't know.

Anyways, just an idea. I would really love to see a system like this fully implemented by the time DF goes retail. I think if it is feature-packed, it could give us a good edge over our competition and any who just use the built-in clan management tools.

Deran Malath Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Dreign Swift View Post
    Could the Soacio platform manage something like an out-of-game alert/alarm system for group-specific in-game emergencies?

Say there is an urgent matter at hand in the outskirts of the Duchy capital, everyone in the "Peer," "Constable," "Forester," and "Ranger" usergroups would be sent an external message/alert informing them of these happenings. Or if our harbor and ships are being attacked, everyone in the higher-up groups and all the garrison and sea-farers would receive a message/alert. Of course the affected groups could be anything, those are just some quick examples.

I was initially thinking something like RSS feeds might be helpful to accomplish this, but I'm sure the Community Site has far better tricks up it's sleeves than that. Maybe there could be an alarm for nation-wide emergencies which all must receive, and anything else beyond that would be voluntary. I don't know.

Anyways, just an idea. I would really love to see a system like this fully implemented by the time DF goes retail. I think if it is feature-packed, it could give us a good edge over our competition and any who just use the built-in clan management tools.
    One way to accomplish this would be to implement IRC bot that would send the alarms. Of course possible receivers would have to put it in highlight preferably with sound which in turn would mean that anyone who wants to get the alarm would have to be in IRC.
    There are other ways to do this like e-mail but they are usually slower depending on your "e-mail system".

Deran Malath Guest

I was bored and poked a few holes to the platform, nothing serious just some functional bugs.
    "Details" are on the bug thread in soacio.
    Last edited by Deran Malath; 02-01-2008 at 10:22 PM.

Bernardo dei Medici is offline His Grace, Lord Chancellor of Hyperion
    Doge of Aquileia

Knight Commander of the Solar Legion

Quote Originally Posted by Deran Malath View Post
    I was bored and poked a few holes to the platform, nothing serious just some functional bugs.
    "Details" are on the bug thread in soacio.
    Thanks for pointing out some of the major flaws that were still floating out there. They were still around due to the fact that the site was 'half-way' between two major upgrades.

I finally sat down tonight and fixed the cookie and security measures that I was avoiding for so long. Each page will now check against the cookie on your machine and match it up with your account in the database. That way no one should be able to "forge" an identity anymore. When your Session Key doesn't match what is in the database for your login, then it'll kick you back to the login.

I'm working on a function that will get called each time you do an action that requires a username tied to it. That should alleviate the editing and peeking issues that I've come across as well.

The new system also allows more dynamic content and a lot fewer hardcoded features.

Dreign Swift Guest

Might I get an answer now, Your Grace?

Manus Dei is offline His Majesty, King Manus of Hyperion
    Duke of Wessex
    Count of Elba
    Grand Master of the Solar Legion

About out of game alarms? Yes, Darkfall will already have that.

Dreign Swift Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Duke Wessex View Post
    About out of game alarms? Yes, Darkfall will already have that.
    To what extent can you control who gets them? I haven't read anything from the devs on this beyond the most basic mention. I was mostly asking Brando if his platform could put something out there which would do a lot more than any generic DF clan tool could.

Surly von Fishbarrel is offline Baron of Urth
    Knight Commander of the Solar Legion

There were going to be SMS messages at some point, back when SMS was free. I don't know what they're planning now.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreign Swift View Post
    To what extent can you control who gets them? I haven't read anything from the devs on this beyond the most basic mention. I was mostly asking Brando if his platform could put something out there which would do a lot more than any generic DF clan tool could.
    Even if they drop SMS notification, they said the will have multiple ways to contact ppl in case of a raid etc. It's in some DF journal somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Brando View Post
    This is the record end of the contracting system. Finding a contractor is up to the individual or officer handling the contract.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coronach View Post
    I notice in there a static contract bid from the buyer. Might it not be more advantageous to an efficient economy to set up a lowest-bid system for sellers which a buyer may then approve?
    I think the contract system does look great. I think another feature that would add a lot of depth to the economy would be the implementation of Blind Buy and Sell orders.

I'm sure there will be some sort of ingame trade system, but this could be used to enhance that and allow for items not yet created to be bought and sold. It could be implemented with the contract system

Something like:

Sell Order:

Item Name: Sword of *Doom*
    Lowest Sell Price: 500g
    Turnaround time: 3 days

Buy Order:

Item Name: Sword of *Doom*
    Maximum Bid: 700g
    Maximum Wait Time: 5 days

Now With a blind system - preference would go to the person who posted their order first. So in this case if the Sell order was placed first, the Sword of *Doom* would be sold for 700g, or if the buy order was placed first the Sword of *Doom* would be sold for 500g.

The system would check for matches as soon as the orders were placed, and a contract would be created if there was a matchup. I figured it would be best to put a location field, but it would hard to automatically have those match. (like the seller could say Im willing to travel a maximum of 1 mile, with the same for the buyer - but how do you judge that? I guess with an in-game coordinates system it could work) So I guess before the contract is finalized, both parties would have to agree on a meet location.

I no longer code, so I dont know the difficulty of the implementation of this, so it could not be practical at all.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information