+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Basic Design

I've seen a vision of the game as a good thing. Harder to blindly work towards an unknown imo. :P

What you describe sounds like a multiplayer match in the Total War series with fog-of-war, much less boots on the ground and bigger maps. Not that it wouldn't be fun, but that's not real-time strategy. Even then, would you call the cavalry zerg of the entire series (except maybe Shogun) balanced?

The weakness of resource-based RTSes is the "age" or "advancement" system, and uber units awarded by progress. I'd prefer a map with wide open spaces and one "level" of technology. Each nation would develop itself with only minor skirmished until conflict for resources began, and then full-scale conflict could erupt. Akin to a Rise of Nations game played within one epoch, I suppose.

All right, though, I'll leave you guys to your work. :P

I concur with Thirlan.

Stop talking about gameplay and focus on the engine :P!

Default ...

Angeleon, the graph compression I was thinking about doesn't work. Your hunch was right it does discard the optimal path. The rule I stated it weaker than I thought and instead of a clique it only applies to cycles. So we can only compress dead ends. I think our resolution size of the screen is still fine however. We will see if we can optimize it later anyway.

Oh right this of course means we can't compress the graph anymore but we can decompose as usual. Just means we can't get as much optimization as we could have hoped.

Lets focus on that matter a little late. While pathing is important, we should get the two first milestones done before we bother with that.

Which means that first the classes needs to be created and input through OpenGL should be implemented. I won't be able to work with it today though, as I need to finish packing the entire apartment by tonight so that I can ship it. Moving is a hassle =/ Tomorrow I'll be working though.
    "ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge" - Charles Darwin

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information