+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Project basics

Default Project basics

Okay first things first we need to establish some basics to make sure everyone is on the same page.

1. We've agreed this will be a strategy game and an RTS, so I'm assuming no turn based?

2. The language will be c++ and the program will be written from scratch.

3. Will we use opengl or directx?

4. Windows or Unix?

5. We are going to need a version control system (aka CVS) for something this big or else we're bound to run into issues and rolling back becomes a pain in the ass.

6. We're going to have to agree to a universal programming standard, which would include variable/funtion/class naming conventions.

7. We will have to maintain a loose documentation of the code and classes so that we all know and agree what a certain class does.

8. To manage the project's progress we will also have to establish milestones (not date milestones) so that we know what we're striving for.

9. Lastly, who is joining in on this and for what? This is what I know so far.
    - Programming: Angeleon and Thirlan
    ---Network: ?
    ---Graphics engine: ?
    ---Game engine: ?

- Art: ?

If we want to do this for educational purposes then we probably should keep it small and have everyone do many things but we shouldn't raise our hopes too high in that case . We also shouldn't spend much time with game design until we have a basic engine, because frankly it gets in the way and more importantly none of us have any experience at all. So I think it would be foolish to make master plans only to find out that getting the most basic engine up will take about 3 months.

Some of this sounds like a lot of extra work and I hear you but you'll never see this project even get close to finishing if we don't stay organized as the beast grows. Also a good rule of thumb is stay pessimistic.

Surly von Fishbarrel is offline Baron of Urth
    Knight Commander of the Solar Legion

I thought the conventional naming standard for variables, usually, was thisVariable, _thisProperty, ThisClass, thisFunction. And is it really necessary to start totally from scratch? I guess it's better that way, but goddamn... aren't you at least using some pre-existing class libraries?

My vote goes for OpenGL/Windows. If there's any need for a dedicated server I'd want that to be linux compatible, probably. Then again, aren't you wanting to do something with DirectX? I guess that's not a bad option either. I don't know anything about making an engine though, heh. Hell I actually don't have much experience with any of it. Maybe I should just be a cheerleader

Default ...

I thought the conventional naming standard for variables, usually, was thisVariable, _thisProperty, ThisClass, thisFunction.
    One of the things on working in projects is to assume nothing and discuss almost everything. People have their own unique and bizarre coding methods that will freak out other people or make peer review a nightmare.

And is it really necessary to start totally from scratch? I guess it's better that way, but goddamn... aren't you at least using some pre-existing class libraries?
    Aye I was going to write that we use some c++ pre-existing libraries but it all depends on Angeleon. We're mostly going to let this be his pet project and it will be his decision to determine how much we want to learn as opposed to how much we want to accomplish.

My vote goes for OpenGL/Windows. Then again, aren't you wanting to do something with DirectX? I guess that's not a bad option either.
    I'm really okay with either and I can go just fine with OpenGL.

If there's any need for a dedicated server I'd want that to be linux compatible, probably.
    Dedicated server sounds great and how big it is will depend on whether we want to make this a mini-mmorts or just make it an IP lister.

I don't know anything about making an engine though, heh. Hell I actually don't have much experience with any of it. Maybe I should just be a cheerleader
    You're in luck because none of us do 8P and this is also why we would need to take some precautions.

Surly von Fishbarrel is offline Baron of Urth
    Knight Commander of the Solar Legion

How does one even go about beginning to create an engine then?

Default ...

Well we start by figuring out how we want to decompose this thing. But before that we need to tell Angeleon to look in this forum section heh ;P

SEED Online was created using a free engine.

I could probably design sprites, or game icons, if you ever need help in that area.

Otherwise, like VF said, I'll be cheerleading xD

Default ...

Quote Originally Posted by Beric View Post
    SEED Online was created using a free engine.
    Now wouldn't using a pre-existing engine defeat the purpose of this project? Personally I'd hate to do it that way but if Angeleon want's too we will.

I could probably design sprites, or game icons, if you ever need help in that area.
    Otherwise, like VF said, I'll be cheerleading xD
    Aye if we ever get past the basic engine we might need a lot of sprite artists because the human eye can see 24 frames per second which means we will at most need 24 frames of animation for a single action such as "attack" or "walk" or "run". So that then becomes 24*3*number_of_units. so that ends up to be a lot of work graphics wise 8P

I'm like Fishbarrel on this one, I'll bring the pom-poms for us cheerleaders

In all actuality, as things start to settle down in my life, I may end up with some time that I would be able to spend on such a project, but for now I'll stay out of the way and just lurk around this thread from time to time.

I know that you're considering building the game engine yourself, but I discovered this little gem on wikipedia. Strategus looks rather promising, if you consider using another game engine.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information