Closed Thread
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5 7 8 9 10

Thread: Call to Assize: Faeran Stonewall

I too must ask for a continuance. This is my weekend that I work doubles Saturday AND Sunday, that I've already notified to the sheriff might happen during this trial. I will be able to submit my closing argument Monday. Please and thank you.

Well, I had a long speech thought up in my head, but events have happened in the past few days that make me feel it really doesn't matter what I write. Zakkiya, my closing argument is for you.

Zakkiya, the court knows I killed you. They know why I killed you. They know there is no proof that I saw you in channel. They know I couldn't see you on the forums because for some reason a serf has more perms than a freewoman (weird).

I didn't notice me contradicting myself, but I did notice me calling you out on a couple things. For example you never left for years, you left for months. MO is on its 3rd year. And no one forgets this game, that's why those who leave, always come back. You're brand new? No, not with that cape you're not. STOP exaggerating. Also, you saying you weren't paying attention to chat when you were clearly responding to someone else while I was trying to talk to you...right.

I didn't search enough? You were an untagged WAR target, you didn't respond, you didn't correctly post on the forums like YOU should have. You pretty much gave me no choice since I came to the conclusion you weren't WSX you were DA. Sorry I obeyed the order to NOT look at TS to see who's on. Maybe YOU should've done better research when entering a guild like WSX and properly post on the forums in the proper section. I did way more than enough giving the situation I was in. I've been out of the guild for a year (but remained in the community for access of the goods in the north). 2-3 accidents in 365 days is not bad, especially in THIS game, with MY play style.

You have NOTHING on me Zakkiya, you got your stuff back after I learned you were WSX, you got an apology which no one conveniently screen shotted. You know what I got? Outcasted. Harassed by multiple people.

It's pretty damn interesting the TWO guys that advised you are gone. Whether it was by a temper tantrum, or treason. They aren't here...cause they suck.

Good luck in game Zakkiya. You don't see me upset when WSX kills me AND takes ALL my stuff, even though the order is to leave me alone.

The court will now proceed to reach a verdict and judgment.

Default Judgment

On the initial charge of murder, which is the highest degree of a killing-related crime for homicides severe enough to warrant exile, the defendant is found not guilty. The killing is not found to be of the highest degree of severity since the court does not believe that the defendant acted with malicious intent or that the defendant knew that the plaintiff was a member of Wessex. It was a first time offense and the damage and permanency of the killing has also been taken into account.

The defendant is found guilty of aggravated battery, the lesser degree for killing-related crimes. The laws of Hyperion, which is a lawful kingdom, traditionally extend to protect all lawful civilized individuals, unless an exception to this principle is made for a certain game, which has not been found to be the case for MO. The defendant killed a lawful inhabitant of Bakti without justification, regardless of whether the victim was a Hyperion subject or not. Even if the defendant did not intentionally kill a lawful individual, the defendant is still guilty of criminal negligence in not realizing these circumstances, which any lawful person is reasonably expected to understand.

As for the defendant's justification of the victim being a war target, the justification of war can only be used by a lawful combatant fighting for a lawful force. The defendant was fighting for a group known as RPK, which even names itself after its activity of killing innocent civilians. RPK is found by the court to be a group of bandits or nomadic killers, not lawful combatants. The justification of war is therefore not valid under these circumstances.

It has been disputed whether the plaintiff was properly registered as a member on the forums at the time of the incident. Since the defendant is guilty of killing a lawful person, the dispute over the plaintiff's status as a Wessex member is not relevant. Nevertheless, the court will bring clarity to this dispute by affirming that according to the change-history log, the plaintiff's status was updated to member along with the name being changed to Zakiyya at the same day as the killing. The logs do not show at what time exactly the name was changed, and thus do not determine whether the plaintiff was properly displayed as a member or not at the time of the incident. Due to the administrative procedures of the forums sometimes resulting in new members not displaying their correct status for as long as a week after joining, forum status alone is not enough to determine with certainty whether someone is not a member.

In regard to Hyperion law extending to protect non-subjects, the traditional rule going back to the great era of 2009 was to not attack un-guilded blues or members of recognized nations. Legally this means lawful individuals or subjects of lawful states. Individuals belonging or affiliated to unlawful unrecognized groups are fair game as described in article 34 of Carta Solis: "Landholders shall bear the right to police their holdings and neighboring badlands or wastelands of barbarians, hillmen, outlaws, renegades, nomads, and all such as hold neither sovereignty nor statehood in the eyes of the Crown." A precedent on this matter is the 09-03-31 fining of Razmus Serventus for robbing a non-subject merchant. An exception to this policy is reasonable for games in which there is little or no established civil society. This would include PvP games without any significant social gameplay elements, but where random unidentified individuals are still encountered.

Concerning multi-guilding, there has been a custom of allowing members to be in other guilds as long as their extra memberships in no way conflict with the interests of Wessex, which is their responsibility to ensure. This has never been a legal right though, and the leadership has full authority over their subjects in their game or territory, limited only by laws. (In cases where games have multiple fully independent servers and game worlds, the territorial jurisdiction would most likely be limited to the particular server). A colonial governor could for example not give a member permission to kill other members since the governor can not overrule royal law. Within his jurisdiction, the governor could allow or forbid multi-guilding or regulate it in a decree. The governor could also order any subject in his territory to leave any other clan or group if it for example causes a conflict of interest. If any law or decree, on royal or shire level already regulates multi-guilding, then the contents of those will have precedence over the contents of the local territorial regulation. Royal Law forbids subjects from holding any memberships in any foreign groups without the knowledge of the authorities.

-For the aggravated battery, Faeran Stonewall is to pay a fine of 150 gold to Zakiyya Ajam.

The defendant is to pay the fine within 7 days. Use the local authorities as an intermediary so that they can confirm the transaction. The court will only consider the fine paid after either the plaintiff or a local court officer confirms the payment.

Sub Signum Rex.

Last edited by Altus Whyte; 03-18-2014 at 01:44 PM.

The fine has not been paid within the time limit, and is hereby doubled to 300 gold with a new time limit of 7 days from now, as per common law.

The court has not received any form of confirmation that the doubled fine has been paid within the allotted time limit.

Faeran Stonewall is hereby exiled from the Kingdom of Hyperion for failing to pay her fine as per common law regarding Judicial Process in the Realm.

Closed Thread

Thread Information