Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Dyeing

Default Dyeing

Much to my disbelief, it seems (at the risk of speaking too soon) that SV may actually have finally fixed dyeing. Below we see the lovely Charybdis DaMortas modelling the boho chic rags and the practical-but-stylish heavy robes, both presented in this season's must-have shade of Jamburra Green.

I haven't yet experimented with the effects on all the different gear, but if anyone wants dyeing done, Charybdis is now permanently based in Bakti. You just need to provide 1,000 of whatever dye source you choose. The possibilities are shown here http://www.mortaldata.com/calculators/dye-calculator/
    but ignore everything except those that give a strong, deep colour in the 2nd column of clours. The pale shades are next to useless.

For those that are not aware, once you have put the dye into the dye tub there is no limit to the number of items that can be dyed. Once the dye tub interface is closed, however, all the dye is lost. It makes sense, therefore, to dye as many items as possible with each batch.

If we want to consider some standard Wessex gear dyed to a uniform colour then it should be quite easy to arrange.

I already had 1,000 Myrland Rose so I have prepared a batch of bright red that can be used as needed.
    Last edited by Camarro Valkran; 12-29-2013 at 10:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Camarro DaMortas View Post
    the lovely Charybdis DaMortas modelling the boho chic rags and the practical-but-stylish heavy robes, both presented in this season's must-have shade of Jamburra Green.
    lol, i love it. I will definitely be getting in on this action. Btw, Is it possible to get the tub or keg of dye and dye stuff myself or do you need the dye skill to do the action of dyeing also? aka, i wanna dye my rags :P.

This is brilliant news!

Does anybody know how to make purple robes for the Clergy of Soldeus!

Quote Originally Posted by Reiyna Orsis View Post
    lol, i love it. I will definitely be getting in on this action. Btw, Is it possible to get the tub or keg of dye and dye stuff myself or do you need the dye skill to do the action of dyeing also? aka, i wanna dye my rags :P.
    Probably easiest to refer you to this article which tells you the skills you need. The kegs are quite expensive, but apart from that it's one of the things you can do effectively on a F2P character. http://www.mortalonline.com/forums/t...s-in-mo.83739/

Quote Originally Posted by Azidano Valkran View Post
    This is brilliant news! Does anybody know how to make purple robes for the Clergy of Soldeus!
    I've never tried to make purple, and I've never experimented with mixed colours yet. I suspect the issue with purple will be obtaining a blue source to mix with the red - and blue is recognised as the Holy Grail of the dyeing world. Have a look at the Dye Calculator I linked above and see if you can find the shade you are looking for.

I will have Charybdis logged on in Bakti from 20:00 GMT / 15:00 EST this evening 29th Dec with a tub of RED dye, anyone in Bakti can bring along anything for dyeing.

This time it's the not-so-lovely me, looking like I am chewing a wasp. I hate standing around having my portrait painted. The gear is a mix of Khurite Splinted (left: head, torso and leggings) and Khurite Scout (right.)

The effects of dyeing are still a bit buggy, the main problems being a mismatch between the paperdoll and the 3rd person view, and a slight tendency for the dye to affect more than it is supposed to. (Those boots in the left hand picture above were not dyed - they took the colour from the other two pieces.) However, it is a hundred times better than it was, and quite usable at last.

Apologies to anyone who missed out last night. Charybdis made the normal mistake of touching her ESC key after about the first 15 minutes of dyeing, which closes the dye tub and ditches the content. I shall be making a suggestion to SV about this. She then switched to the Jamburra Green used for the pictures above. However, there will be another chance for red dye just as soon as I collect some more Myrland Rose. I also saw a tabard dyed purple in Tindrem and I'll be doing some research about it.

I'll keep you all informed.
    Last edited by Camarro Valkran; 12-31-2013 at 09:51 AM. Reason: changed "Splinted" to "Scout" for 2nd picture

is there any way to concentrate a dye to make a higher strength dye?

15 nitre queen carcass and 5 myrland rose yealds as THIS by the calculator

Quote Originally Posted by Levald Aurelius View Post
    is there any way to concentrate a dye to make a higher strength dye?
    It's rather illogical. You just keep adding more of the dye. In real life that would mean that you get a greater quantity of the same colour, in MO it means you get the same quantity (one infinite dye tub full) of a more intense colour.

Regarding the colour you linked, I'd be surprised to get that intense a shade from so few ingredients, but who knows? One of the problems with dyeing (as with potion making in general, because dye making is simply a branch of potion making) is that you can spend a fortune on rare ingredients and get nothing for your pains - except a little more knowledge about what doesn't work.

All I can say is that, using Myrland Rose as an example, I take 1,000 and make a keg full of red potion. I forget the actual units, but the keg can be emptied into the dye tub about 10 times. The first time gives a very pale pink colour (so about 100 Myrland Roses worth) then each addition makes it darker. The whole keg is needed to get a decent red colour.

so if a "unit" is 1/10 a keg than we need 1.5 kegs from nitrequeen and .5 keg of myrland rose. From what I could see of the calculator the strength is your effective saturation level, 0 being grey scale, once you get dark enough its primary is grey scale the actual strength is also grey scale, regardless of strength. I assume strength is also altered by lores etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Levald Aurelius View Post
    so if a "unit" is 1/10 a keg than we need 1.5 kegs from nitrequeen and .5 keg of myrland rose. From what I could see of the calculator the strength is your effective saturation level, 0 being grey scale, once you get dark enough its primary is grey scale the actual strength is also grey scale, regardless of strength. I assume strength is also altered by lores etc.
    I find the calculator confusing, and I think your explanation of it is probably correct. The effect of lores, I have no idea. My dyer is F2P and so capped at 60. If I had to make a guess I think dyeing may be one of the few things that is not changed by lores, but I don't know.

Thread Information