+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tips and Tricks for Warriors, Skirmishers, and Elementalists

Default Tips and Tricks for Warriors, Skirmishers, and Elementalists

Thought we should have a thread that focuses on things we learn about the classes in DF 2.0. I'll start off with some things I have picked up playing the Elementalist.

First up, when you hit the <tab> key to load up your radial dials with skills, there are skill at the top of the screen, and at the bottom of the screen. As a mage I focused on the bottom skills, as the top ones were always red and would not load when I switched the focus to that dial. I discovered that this is because I lacked the reagent to cast those spells. That reagent is Elemental Dust (or something to that effect). If you have this in your inventory, you can switch to one of the Elementalist spells. Goblins drop this reagent, but my experience is that Trolls drop this more often.

As for the spells themselves, I have played with Fireball the most. Against goblin scouts and warriors, fireball does as much damage as the basic mana missile. Against Goblin Shamans it does a bit more, but not enough to warrant the use of the reagent (IMO). Against trolls, a fireball will one-shot them. In fact, it appears that just the splash damage will kill them instantly. The Trolls are much more resistant to Mana missiles. I don't know if this is just a higher amount of hit points or that they are super vulnerable to fire. The trolls hand to hand attacks tear me up pretty quickly, but the magic seems pretty weak, so keep your distance and you will be fine.

For the goblins, mana missile seems to be working well. In two days of playing my 'staff skill' is up to 42, and many of the goblin scouts are dropping after 2 hits. I am finding that against scouts I just let them close to me and Mana missile them right in the head. Warriors and Shamans though also tear me up at close range, as well several goblin scouts hitting me at the same time.
    Lord Azzerhoden Razeri, Viscount of Wessex, Bt.

Skirmishers: Explosive Arrow is incredibly powerful. I mean incredibly. Against Goblins it kills Warriors or Shamans in two hits and Scouts in one. The splash is just as damaging as the direct hit, and you can kill several opponents with a single shot. It recharges rather quickly as well. Of the other abilities, Pierce seems to work best on heavily armed opponents and mediocrely against weak ones. You can also kite effectively by dodging ranged attacks, and Goblins at least do little damage with their arrows anyway.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Manus Dei is offline His Majesty, King Manus of Hyperion
    Duke of Wessex
    Count of Elba
    Grand Master of the Solar Legion

I am seeing a future for units of Hyperion military. Clustered bowmen sound impressively deadly.

Can't wait to get in and have some practice with sword play. Perhaps there are some interesting tricks and techniques to master.
    Might also want to figure how mounts work into this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhodri Taliesin View Post
    Can't wait to get in and have some practice with sword play. Perhaps there are some interesting tricks and techniques to master.
    Might also want to figure how mounts work into this.
    Mounts seem stronger than they once were. Evidently you need only look and swing to swing on the intended side of the mount now.

So I went on the Euro server while the NA server was down. I saved up points to obtain Stampede role.... its broken. It doesnt increase in your speed like it shows in the video

Edit-- Well according to forums it works but you ahve to be first sprinting.... I will have to test this out
    Last edited by Audin Cardew; 12-29-2012 at 05:01 PM.

Mounts are squishy and die quickly, atleast the unarmoured ones. They would operate much better as light cavalry, chase during a route, flank attacks NOT frontal charges. Once armoured mounts are in they will be much more combat savvy. Each combination of roles has strengths and weaknesses that we should determine a specific job within combat. Keeping order in combat will be a stronger weapon then any sword or armour. So far group combat is a gongshow being pritty much everyone 1v1ing but switching targets constantly, this is where I believe formations will give the upper hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Audin Cardew View Post
    So I went on the Euro server while the NA server was down. I saved up points to obtain Stampede role.... its broken. It doesnt increase in your speed like it shows in the video

Edit-- Well according to forums it works but you ahve to be first sprinting.... I will have to test this out
    I did test it, and yes, you're correct, you have to be holding sprint down either during activating or after.

Manus Dei is offline His Majesty, King Manus of Hyperion
    Duke of Wessex
    Count of Elba
    Grand Master of the Solar Legion

Also note that it's possible that mount quality improves with the skill of the maker. "Mountsummoning" is still a "crafting" skill rated 1-100, so it may behoove us to have a designated stablemaster as well.

Purchased the Magma Bomb spell yesterday, and was able to test it against Trolls and Altus after he crashed when we were exploring.

1) The explosion radius is much larger than fireball.
    2) The drop is significant. So much so I don't see how it can be considered a long range spell (which is in the description).
    3) The damage, even when unskilled, is significant.

I have low skills with all the Elementalist spells, so I don't know if the difference is with resists, or damage itself, or some combination, but when I hit Altus with my other spells they did very little damage, but Magna Bomb was hitting for over 30.

All of this was with my boosters on Strength, not Intelligence. So planning on testing this again.
    Lord Azzerhoden Razeri, Viscount of Wessex, Bt.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information