+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Titles "of Long March"

1. Default Titles "of Long March"

Would it be better to make up a city name to use instead of Long March until we have a city of our own? That will allow us to post on the official forum with our sigs and not have the situation of us stating that we own and run a city owned by someone else. Also it may take a while for us to take a city, and not necessarily Long March, so having something that works until that happens even after the game starts would be good.

As for names how about Wynncaster?

Malachi Drake is offline The Usurper
    Former Bishop of Wessex

What is everyone’s view on this? It would be less presumptuous and seen as less committal by the community.

I have the same concerns as you, Falesh. It is a good idea to pick a different holding name. Are there no names from DF (not hamlet or city names) that can be used?
    Last edited by Rhygar apGwynn; 01-18-2012 at 07:43 AM.

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Rhygar apGwynn View Post
    I have the same concerns of you, Falesh. It is a good idea to pick a different holding name. Are there no names from DF (not hamlet or city names) that can be used?
    I will look into the lore and see if I can find something.

5. Default

I just had a thought, should we be naming Wessex territories after a city at all? It would seem more logical to make a new name and use that as a county name. Then if we change city for whatever reason we do not have to change everyone's title and sig. Basically we would use something like the "Duke of Devonshire" rather then the "Duke of York".

In my mind it becomes too difficult to find enough lore appropriate names for peerages unless we use the names of holdings (at least part of the time). Historically, city names would not be the name of the peerage but since developers often neglect that side of the game we have little choice.

The previous approach of choosing unaffiliated names led to two issues;

(1) If left to their devices most people (although in those cases it was foreign clans) chose idiotic names. I would like the standard of the naming be left up to the King who will after all be the one creating the peerage.

(2) People never really used the fictional names because it had no meaning for them. I mostly didn't because of (1). Especially for people outside that clan - where is the Barony of Silentium? No one knew or cared. Players know where Moh'Ki, Long March etc are thus the names have meaning.

If we lose a territory, that peerage is returned to the Crown and it can be dissolved if need be. If you take another city, create a new peerage.

7. Default

A few possibles then: Use a starter city name and live out of that one until we get our own, e.g. Chilbourne or Copperdale, use a chaos city which we can own by force of arms but owning it would be harsh on our non-pvpers or use a region name from Darkfall, e.g. "Mercia". Mercia is the current home of the humans.

I think I like Mercia the best. Yes it is presumptuous, but not in a big way. Besides if we settle in that region and become the dominant power, which we can be, then claiming ownership of the region seems perfectly valid in a sandbox MMO.

Those all sound good as place holder names. Discuss amongst yourselves and decide which one is likely to be the most accurate.

This kind of problem is mostly due to the static city building options given to us in Darkfall as opposed to the "build alot of shit together = town" dynamic in Mortal Online.

My own personal opinion is that the Earl should be named after the city itself and would encompass any hamlets surrounding it as its territory. You don't have to own those hamlets if you don't want or need to. I see no reason why a title cannot change based on the holding we own.

However, it will probably be best if we decide on a placeholder name for now so as not to incite any issues yet. I say this because it will be very easy for us to manipulate this situation going into Darkfall nearer the time.

If we declare Malachi as the Earl of Mar Shral. People will rush Mar Shral, leaving us to rush taking Dagnamyr's stone. (For example)

I'm going to be damn right darstadly with propoganda this time round, I'm goon-trained.
    Last edited by Rhygar apGwynn; 01-18-2012 at 07:42 AM. Reason: :)

10. Default

Shall we go with Mercia then as a temporary name so we can get our sigs sorted for posting on the official forums?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information